Should People be Allowed to Own Exotic Pets? | Teen Ink

Should People be Allowed to Own Exotic Pets?

May 9, 2016
By arturooo_13 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
arturooo_13 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

To the people of the world, having a lion cub or an exotic rhesus monkey can be the highlight of the neighborhood and intrigues the people around you. With the possession of such animals comes great risk and responsibility. I strongly agree that an average person should not be able to own exotic pets because they are hazardous and unsafe, resources are difficult and it is cruel and unusual.

   

People should not be allowed to own exotic pets because they are hazardous and unsafe. There is a big difference in behavior from a domestic animal to an exotic one. Domestic animals may be easily trained and requires little to no preparation, exotic animals are “wild animals with wild instincts, even when born in captivity” (Do You Really Want a Baby Tiger?). Wild animals are unpredictable and impulsive with their conduct. Animals do not suddenly change their actions. While pets like dogs just needs a few obedience classes, “it takes hundreds or thousands of years to domesticate exotic animals” (Do You Really Want a Baby Tiger?). Deprived of these years of obedience, exotic animals can be strong enough to injure without cause.

   

People should not be allowed to own exotic pets because resources are difficult. If having something humble like a puppy or a cat is a lot of work imagine the time and money it will take to manage an exotic pet. Along with the immense intake of food and the medical care needed, “you also have to build a sturdy cage and play places to approximate the animal’s natural habitat” (Do You Really Need a Baby Tiger?). These cages have to be sturdy and have places where the animal can hide, rest, climb and play. The task of making this is very time consuming, time which the average person doesn’t have. Knowledge about the creature is needed in order to understand the needs of the animal. Most people that meet the needs of the exotic animal are “specifically trained and qualified individuals working with the backing of a specially equipped facility” (Do You Really Need a Baby Tiger?). The reason it takes so much effort to take care of an exotic animal is because it is a lifetime commitment. The average person would very much prefer an average pet like a dog because it is less time consuming and effort to deal with that them versus a high maintenance exotic pet.
   

People should be allowed to own exotic pets because there are no hard facts to show that exotic animals are dangerous. Any human would desire the irresistible and charming look of a lion cub versus your average small puppy. Many people believe that exotic animals are dangerous and audacious due to all the rumors of injuries and deaths due to exotic animals but “these incident reports amount to scary stories about scary animals” (REXANO). Many of these reports are highly unrealistic, ridiculous and unconfirmed. People base their opinions on these “fake” reports, but in real life, society isn’t really threatened. When there is an attack, it is most likely to “owners, trainers or people voluntarily visiting the property where the animals are kept” (REXANO). Statistics proves that exotic animals are not a threat to the safety of others who are uninvolved. Without any facts stating that exotic animals are dangerous to society, people should be allowed to own them without any trouble.

   

To conclude, society is not ready to have exotic pets. Although there are some exceptions and data, that an average person should not be able to own exotic pets because they are hazardous and unsafe, resources are difficult and it is cruel and unusual.