Three Great Historical Leaders | Teen Ink

Three Great Historical Leaders

By arturooo_13 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
arturooo_13 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

Many great historical leaders live up to the quote “With great power comes great responsibility”(Voltaire). In order to become a great leader, you need to have characteristics to be able to rule your country. Suleiman, Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth 1st all exhibit characteristics of great leadership by inspiring their people and being well educated in literature and history.

Suleiman, Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth 1st all exhibit characteristics of great leadership by inspiring their people. Suleiman’s nickname was not the magnificent for no reason. He was a destructive military leader and “he was feared but also admired by his people”(Suleiman the Magnificent). By taking Istanbul and creating his own empire, he earned the name “the Lawgiver” by his people meaning that they accepted him as their notorious leader. Suleiman stroke fear into the hearts of his enemies and “always rode at the head of his army to inspire his troops”(Suleiman the Magnificent). This told his troops to continue on and as long as he never gives up and continues fighting with all his might, they should too. Now Nelson Mandela was no notorious leader but he did achieve some great things for his people and his country. Against all odds, Mandela fought this new South African policy called apartheid and “spoke out against the injustice of white domination”(Nelson Mandela).Although he was put in jail for his acts against the government, “Mandela never lost his spirit or determination”(Nelson Mandela). He told his people to fight for what they believe in and that we should all strive for a free society with the same opportunities. The people heard him and the struggle for freedom ended when they chose him to be South Africa’s new president. Queen Elizabeth 1st is known to be the greatest sovereignty of England. She influenced her people to be well educated and “encouraged scientific thinking”(Queen Elizabeth 1st). With these effects, explorers such as Sir Francis Drake and Walter Raleigh expanded the British Empire. To her people, Queen Elizabeth was a good and wise ruler and she was loved throughout her empire. With her environment being intelligent loyal advisors, Queen Elizabeth set an example to her people and “gave sound political device to her people”(Queen Elizabeth 1st).  By ruling a fair government and using her education to teach people, the British society was advanced and very sophisticated.

These 3 people exhibit characteristics of great leadership by being well educated in literature and history. With Suleiman, Istanbul became one of the most cultured cities in the world. Suleiman used artists and philosophers to represent their ideas, along with “Suleiman himself being a prolific poet and writer”(Suleiman the Magnificent). Suleiman provided art societies to artists that soon became a part of the royal circle that “provided training systems for artists”(Suleiman the Magnificent). These training systems developed into artists being able to get paid a reasonable amount and live in an aristocratic culture. Suleiman created “an efficient legal system and a well-organized government”(Suleiman the Magnificent) by using what he learned with literature and artistic culture. When Suleiman died, he left a strong civilization and a strong military. When it comes to Nelson Mandela, he turned a dream into a reality. When they put him in jail, “prisoners benefited from spending time with him by learning history and political strategy”(Nelson Mandela). Mandela spread the word about the corruption in the government in the prison and was commemorated by naming the prison Mandela University. By being well educated, Mandela was able to work along with President F.W de Klerk to “persuade white South Africans to work for change with black South Africans”(Nelson Mandela). Mandela spoke for the good of both white and black citizens of South Africa. Queen Elizabeth was a gifted scholar who knew how to speak multiple languages. Literacy Rates increased with her as queen and “great poets and playwrights, such as William Shakespeare created works that are still greatly admired”(Queen Elizabeth 1st). Education played a critical role in the life of Queen Elizabeth. With an early lead on literature and history, she was “highly accomplished in the art of rhetoric and public relations”(Queen Elizabeth 1st). This helped her defeat the Spanish Armada with armed vessels and navy ships. With Queen Elizabeth in reign, the British society had great achievements in Art.

To conclude, these 3 people were one of the most commonly known leaders in the world. Specific characteristics are what made them so successful. Suleiman, Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth 1st all exhibit characteristics of great leadership by inspiring their people and being well educated in literature and history.