Mistakes | Teen Ink

Mistakes

Mistakes are painful. I was trying to run away and not get into trouble. I stood still. What was going to happen to me? I had no idea. It didn’t hit me right away, but I knew what I did was wrong. It was supposed to be a prank, nothing else.
It was my junior year spring break. It started off phenomenal. I went camping with my best friends for five days. We had nothing to worry about. Each day passed quickly. It wasn’t until we got back that things went wrong.
Then, things fell apart. It was only a key to my best friend’s house. I was there all the time. It wasn’t that bad. While we stayed back in Wisconsin and camped, his family vacationed in Mexico.
I had no idea stealing a key could ruin their whole vacation. I stole the key; I used it. We went into their house without their permission and from there, it was all downhill. At first, it was nothing big to be inside his house; it was like we lived there. When time came to leave, however, we had some major difficulties. The keys to my car were locked inside my car. I couldn’t call my parents. There was no way to explain I had locked my car keys in the car - and my car was in Mark’s garage. It was in Mark’s garage so no one would know we were there.
Since I decided not to call home, I took Mark’s parents’ car. Once we finished our joyride with their car, it was too late. I had been getting phone calls all night from an unknown number; I never answered the calls. My friend’s phone was broken, so he never received a call. Then, I got a call from my friend’s mom. She immediately said “Put Gus on the phone.” After he hung up, he told me they knew we had Mark’s parents’ car. I was in a coma from there in on out. I didn’t know what to do or say. I knew I was going to be in the worst trouble I had ever been in. One week later, when their family returned from vacation, our families sat down together and discussed what had happened. My friend and I both sincerely apologized and told them everything from start to finish. They could have pressed charges on us. They knew we were being truthful and we regretted what we did 100 percent. The charges were dropped.
At that point in my life, I did not know what to expect. Every second, I felt like I was getting hit in the face. But once the final results came, I woke up from my coma and I could live life again. This changed my life in so many ways; so many, I would have to write another essay to explain it. I learned my lesson and now I always stop, think and ask myself, is this right? I haven’t made a mistake since.