A | Teen Ink

A

By Scott Shapiro BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
Scott Shapiro BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida

College is more than an institution for learning. It is a gateway; a portal through which one makes the transition from adolescence into adulthood. In college, you gain knowledge with which you start a career. You gain responsibility with which you begin to live on your own. Finally, you gain experiences, memories, and friendships which remain with you for a lifetime. But as the saying goes, 'No pain, no gain,' and by that I mean severe financial pain. An average college tuition can be anywhere starting at $100,000.00, and that is more than what the average student can afford. Unfortunately, it is also more than what some of the above-average, the extraordinary students can afford. If the United States of America followed Canada and Great Britain, whose colleges are all free, there would be some small consequences, but a much bigger reward.

To begin, as Adlai E. Stevenson once said, 'There was a time when a fool and his money were soon parted, but now it happens to everybody.' This shows how in the recent economic turmoil, many people are losing investments, jobs, and as a result, their money. Nevertheless, the colleges are just as expensive as ever. There are many people in the country who have the necessary test scores, abilities, and other qualifications needed to apply to colleges, but lack the wealth to pay for the tuition. The free scholarships that some associations offer are most likely hard to earn, and with strings attached. If colleges were free, any of these future students could establish a future for themselves, and the American citizens would be a much more educated population

Moreover, college is a life-changing experience and every child should have the chance to go. College gives, besides education, responsibility and important social skills that one needs later in life. It is a way for people to begin living individually, and on their own, but without the responsibilities associated with a house or a job. More importantly, you develop strong friendships, and skills such as how to make a good first impression. None of these should be deprived to someone worthy, but without financial stability.

To summarize, all colleges in America should be free to the people, even if taxes should rise, because that is better in every way. College is a wonderful experience and no one should miss out on the time of their life.

jyeloh888 said...
on May. 14 2010 at 5:21 am
can i use your essay for college?