Trick or Treat | Teen Ink

Trick or Treat

The doorbell rings and I grab my candy in anticipation of young children in costumes ready to collect their holiday treats. Trick-or-treat! But instead of a young child in a wizard costume at my door, there stands a Moline police officer who asks for me.

Overwhelmed with fear, I don’t know why a police officer would have anything to do with me. I sometimes speed, but that is as far as my law breaking has extended. I’m a good kid, I tell myself, I have no reason to be in trouble.

He tells my parents and I to sit down someplace comfortable. We settle in the living room. I’m in a chair by myself. My family, along with the police officer, stares at me. I still don’t know what this has to do with. I didn’t do anything. I twist the ring on my index finger. He asks me what my relationship is with Ethan. Ethan is my boyfriend, but my parents are unaware that we are still dating. They thought we broke up. I can’t lie in front of him. So, I tell him yes. I am in a relationship with Ethan.

Trick.

The police officer, Detective Taylor, starts his story. He starts telling me the truth. He tells me who the supposed ‘love of my life’ really is. My phone starts blowing up with messages in the other room. It’s Ethan. I’ll never reply though. I’ll never want to hear from him again.

Detective Taylor tells me of the drug abuse, the robberies, the girlfriends, the drinking, the lying, the deception of Ethan. Everything's coming together and everything is finally making sense. All of my coils with Ethan finally have backstories. I know all. Everything hurts, though. The truth really hurts.

By the time the police officer finishes, my sobs are the only thing that consume the room. My parents know everything now, and so do I. Not only did Ethan hurt me, but he hurt my parents. And with him, I hurt my parents, too. How could I actually have been with someone and even loved someone that could ruin me like this? How could I have been stupid enough to let him?

I find shelter in my room after the police officer leaves. My parents begin discussing my punishment, and they had a lot to punish me for.

The lies.

The pictures.

The stupidity.

The misplaced trust.

The abuse of my freedom.

In the 30 minutes that my family talked to the police officer, I grew up more than I ever could in the past year and a half. I had been stupid and reckless and dumb, but none of it mattered anymore, because all my lies were now just punishments to be handed out, and I no longer had to be with Ethan anymore. I was free.

And finally looking back, I learned that I am older and wiser and brighter. And I am finally done with the boy who I battled for many, many months. Growing up and forgetting him was the only way that I could keep my head above water, and I’m glad that I’m still swimming

The last text I ever said to him was “I love you,”  and the last words I ever said to him were “I never want to hear from you again,” and I know it’s a big contrast, but both of those last words still hold true.