Day By Day | Teen Ink

Day By Day

For the past 12 years I have been surrounded by many peers who have set aspirations. I, however, have always had a plethora of ideas in my mind to the point of not being able to choose just one. This has led to me to a life of versatility and flexibility. I strongly believe that straying from labels and leaving your comfort zone helps build character. Strong group identity is not a very powerful asset in my life.

Starting in kindergarten, teachers began asking the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Every single year I had a different answer. I went through these phases where I would become passionate about a certain subject but after some time I would always change my mind. Police officer, photographer, astronaut, paleontologist, journalist: all of these ideas and yet none of them would stick. After a while, I accepted the fact that I could not undertake just one career choice and I decided to let myself go through all of my phases. I was hoping that by this point, I would have chosen one for sure. Regardless, I have been going with the flow and have been experiencing all the alternatives that life brings me.

Strong group identity has not necessarily been an important aspect in my life. I believe that because of the fact I have not chosen a set career path, I should be exposed to as many groups as possible. This, of course, comes with limits. I stay near the educated and goal driven identities and tend to stay away from the less driven people. I consider that exposure to many options widens your knowledge. Not identifying with a group also helps me become more accepting to new things and change in my life.

For the past 12 years I have sat in class biting my nails because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I have finally accepted that I should just enjoy every experience that comes my way and find my calling when it comes. Whether that takes 2 months or 2 years, I know the day will come sometime in the near future. Not identifying with a strong group identity has helped me reach a point where I have had the chance to understand so many different paths.