Opportunity Land | Teen Ink

Opportunity Land

By Patricia Palade BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
Patricia Palade BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

I grasped the concept of opportunity a few years after my home was replaced from a small country in Europe-roughly the same size as Michigan-to a much larger country on the Western Hemisphere. I was born in Romania; a nation that isn’t considered modern or technologized. I grew up without the joy of the famous peanut butter mixture or simplicity of the microwave. Everything required to be heated up on the gas stove and butter alone was daubed on bread. My father had the burning desire to move and at first we considered Canada, which lead to a painful and hopeless period of attempting to learn the French pronunciation. However, in the middle of the process my mom won a visa enabling us to relocate to America instead. English proved a great deal easier to absorb.  At the time, I didn’t quite comprehend my parents’ intention of trying so desperately to leave my birthplace. Nonetheless, their sacrifice plunged me into the nucleus of opportunity. 

One of the most significant contrasts between these countries is the education system. In Romania, schools lack many components that would shock American administrators. Mounds of cigarette ashes pile up on the bathroom floor. No security or attendance policy prevents students from ditching class in the middle of an instructor’s lecture. The scarce funding doesn’t permit public education to progress from chalk boards to more proficient tools such as computers.  In addition, all students are required to attend the same classes without any variety, career focus, or option of extracurricular activities. In comparison, upon entering high school in the US, I was inundated with endless possibilities of classes, clubs and sports. My first three years were filled with continuous community service ranging from cuddling shelter kittens, to arranging theater costumes. On several occasions, I’ve had to brew multiple cups of black coffee to keep myself alert while studying until dawn for challenging assignments. My personality has also developed from a shy, mute girl to the president of two clubs and captain of the soccer team. Furthermore, not only do students have a range of choices, but the environment is secure and enhanced, providing them with excellent conditions for learning. The vast amount of opportunities gives me a chance to become more aware of my strengths, weaknesses and place in society.

When I committed myself to the field of medicine, numerous prospects awaited. I am half way through a high school program that allows me to become certified as a CNA. In this course, I completed 66 clinical hours in a medical setting. I am capable of taking blood pressure, performing CPR, bandaging and splinting, administering neurological tests and several other skills. The CNA license will allow me to gain additional experience that will impress universities. Another factor that will make me stand out is the Health Care Career Institute I and only 47 other Arizonians attended at Midwestern College of Osteopathy. At this institute, we were introduced to all the available programs by the medical students or doctors and taught a handful of techniques including intubation and suturing. These remarkable encounters have solidified my interest and passion in the field.

In conclusion, I’ve been able to demonstrate my aptitude and intellect using my involvement as a result of various opportunities. I attempt to picture what kind of motivation I would acquire if I had moved to Canada instead, or had not moved at all. I almost certainly wouldn’t have played soccer, taken college level classes, or narrowed down to a definite profession. Throughout this endeavor, I have developed an ambitious quality and drive for success. I compete for these opportunities wholeheartedly; I don’t take for granted the advantages I have, and that others lack. After all, the American Dream was only attained by unwavering workers.

I wrote this piece for my English class with the prompt of an event that happened in your life that impacted your identity. I might use it for a college application somewhere down the road.