Langston Hughes and the Harlem Renaissance | Teen Ink

Langston Hughes and the Harlem Renaissance

April 4, 2014
By Anonymous

Langston Hughes an African American writer and poet, that used his literary skills to advocate Civil Rights during the Harlem Renaissance. The Harlem Renaissance was period in the 1920’s in which African Americans strived to produce literary and intellectual works in order enhance African American culture. At that time the Harlem Renaissance was called the “New Negro Movement”.]

Langston Hughes is the most well known leader of the Harlem Renaissance. Hughes supported his cause by producing literary works. Langston Hughes’s poems appear in The Crisis and The Nation. Hughes also, with the assistance of of other Harlem Renaissance leaders, created the magazine, Fire!! Devoted to Younger Negro Artists.

The Harlem Renaissance strongly affected Hughes’s writings. Langston Hughes’s work during the Harlem Renaissance reflected how he felt about African Americans and racial injustice. His writing include emphasizing African American pride, encouragement for African Americans to keep fighting for civil justice and talk of African American culture becoming great. These ideas that Hughes wrote about were evident in the Harlem Renaissance.

The Harlem Renaissance was specifically targeting African Americans and mostly only affected African Americans. The Harlem Renaissance affected African Americans exactly in the way it was supposed to, many African Americans began practicing literature and the arts. Just as the “New Negro Movement” wanted to do, to change African American culture more literary and art oriented.

Langston Hughes’s writing impacted the African American people that read it during the Harlem Renaissance, his writing made them think about African American culture at that time period. Hughes’s writing influenced people to become immersed in literature and the arts. This affected the U.S. in a big way. Now the African American people are reading and writing literature and creating art. This now meant that the African American population was now producing more artistic and literary works, which increased the overall literary output of our country. This also made some white people less racist because it is hard to be racist against someone that has music that you listen to, or books that you read or art you admire.