Plants Grown in US | Teen Ink

Plants Grown in US

Georgia is one of the biggest and oldest agriculture producing state in the United States and many different crops are grown here from the coast to the Appalachian Mountains towards the north. Most crops grown are cotton, turf grass, soy beans, Vidalia onions, tobacco, peaches, peanuts, wheat and pecans. One of the crops I did not mention above is corn, corn in Georgia is grown in the south western part procuring 1,000,000 + bushels of corn annually, and Miller is the top county in Georgia in growing corn. The one crop I was really surprised that Georgia does not grow much of anymore is cotton which is grown in southwest Georgia producing 50,000 bales annually. Dooly County produces 104,600 bales annually putting it at the top of cotton production. Another crop is oats, a whole some grain which is grown in the south and parts of east Georgia. Peanuts are the king crop in Decatur County and that county alone produces 106,000,000 pounds annually. While the whole state only produces less than half of that, peanuts are grown in the south and along half the eastern border. The crop that is used as an ingredient in rye bread is grown in a sort of strip between middle and coastal areas; that crop is rye. Houston is the top producer of Rye in Georgia producing 110,700 bushels annually. Southern Georgia grows Sorghum in districts seven and eight. District seven produces the most. Soybeans are grown in a scattering of counties below middle Georgia. The top producing county is Dooly. It produces 649,000 bushels a years. Tobacco is produced in only a few counties near the middle of the coastal area, Coffee County is its top producer. This sums up the type and amount of crops produced in Georgia.

Works Cited
Georgia Agriculture Facts. 2009. 15-43. Print.