Plants Used For Medicine | Teen Ink

Plants Used For Medicine

There are many plants used for medicines and there are many different types of medicines that those are made with. Medical plants can be used in products for antiseptic, fever reduction, pain relief, insect repellent and the list continues on for miles after that. One of these medical plants is the California poppy which is a small yellow flower that is used in a tea for anxiety relief or in a bigger dose pain relief. Another plant has a use I found interesting, Tansy another little yellow flower native to Europe and Asia and if rubbed on a person’s skin it will act as a natural insect repellant. Too bad we don’t have those here in Georgia, imagine it FREE insect repellant everywhere and it probably doesn’t stink too. Moving on, the next plant is Mint, a green leafy plant known for for soothing headaches, stopping nausea, settling the stomach and reducing nervousness and fatigue. My next plant is the plant that cats go crazy for, Catnip and although it is mostly meant to drive your cat insane it can also help relieve cold symptoms and stop excessive bleeding, go Catnip! Salvia officinalis or also known as Sage is maybe one of the most valuable plants on planet Earth it is anti-flammatory, anti-oxidant, and antifungal, basically it aids in digestion, relieves cramps, reduces diarrhea, stops up phlegm, helps fend off colds, reduces inflammation and swelling, acts as a salve for cuts and burns, and kills bacteria and in most cases can apparently even bring color back to gray hair. This plant is a plant you’d want to know about if you were stranded in the woods. The black berry is next, and I’m not talking about the berry itself but its leaves which can heal and prevent ailments such as dynasty and diarrhea; however the berry is good for you as well, tasty too! There are so many other plants that we use in our medicines and use to treat everyday things other than the ones above and many more we have yet to discover their uses but it’s a start.