Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. | Teen Ink

Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure.

By camp77 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
camp77 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries.
-Mark Twain

It’s very likely that everyone has something that challenges them to the point of feeling like giving up. Since the first grade I have sometimes experienced feelings of failure due to my disorganization. Often when comparing my performances to others, I felt inadequate and wondered if I could ever achieve things that so called “normal” students do. Disorganization in my case meant losing papers, making bad grades, or turning in late work, annoying my teachers. A peek inside my backpack would take you to a place where mountains are made of homework and rivers run blue with pen ink. English papers were known to disappear into the abyss of my desk drawer at home. Thank godness for flash drives.

Positive change began for me in Spring 2012, when I began working with one of my teachers, Mr. R, who provides coaching and planning support for students with ADHD. He taught me how to create a good filing system, keep things in one place and to make a game plan of how and when to complete coursework. Most importantly, I began to notice a change in my focus during class and started thinking with an awareness towards more productive planning.

Having these challenges and sense of failure in my life has led me to getting the support that provides me with hope and a new sense of confidence. There is actually someone out there who can teach planning skills, which I didn't even know existed. I went from being lost to having the guidance I needed and learned to gain new management skills. I now believe that college is a real possibility for me and that I can have more control over my future after high school. I feel my focus can be geared toward my freshman year of college.

On another note, I plan to contribute to my new college community by playing intramural soccer and doing volunteer work. Soccer is something which has always come easily to me and that I have enjoyed since I was four years old. Volunteering with and helping young kids has always been an important part of my life; I hope these activities will help me to meet like-minded students wherever I choose to attend college.

I started out with some serious challenges in ninth grade. Organization can be an ongoing struggle for me and is something that takes constant practice; I will always need to continue working on it. Most of all, I have learned that I am not a failure, because with solid guidance and a lot of personal dedication, I can accomplish anything. So now, armed with my new mindset, I know college is part of my future as I consider favorite majors such as culinary arts and hospitality management. Hey, everyone has to eat and sleep sometime.

I hope this will help people to write their college essay.

this was really helpful and understanding