Can the study of popular culture be as valuable as the study of traditional

The study of popular culture can be as valuable as the study of traditional literary and historical subjects because the study of popular culture can prepare students for a successful social life and a successful career. Popular culture is any media, art, slang, food, or place that is associated with a specific culture. In terms of courses, popular culture is the study of modern trends that can be used to generate a career. Traditional literary and historical subjects are just as important to study, given that they are the foundation for popular culture. However, they do not provide the proper credentials that are required to generate most careers in the modern-day world.

Technological advancements such as computers, tablets, and editing programs have influenced many of the past and current career tracks. As students choose a field of study, they must acquire the proper training. The study of popular culture may include classes in the fields of music, theater, art, culinary, or fashion. Without the study of popular culture, these classes would not be offered, and all the students who desire a career in these fields would not be able to hone their skills. As a result, these students would not flourish as adults.

The obligation of a school is to prepare students for adulthood. A vast majority of students select careers that classify as popular culture. If the study of popular culture is not included in a schools curriculum, then the school is failing to perform this task. Certain people find that the study of popular culture is frivolous, and they believe that it should not be replaced by the core literature and history classes. The trouble with this opinion is that no educator or schoolboard has indicated the replacement of traditional literary and history courses by the popular culture courses. These courses are offered along with the traditional literary and history courses. Therefore, this opinion, although entitled, is not completely accurate.

Traditional literature and history courses are the foundation for popular culture. Careers such as teaching require a tremendous amount of study in these traditional courses. Majors and minors in these subjects have shifted with the times as well, which means their importance is just as great as those in popular culture. On top of that, many careers in the fine arts department educate students on the classic forms of their study. For example, most theater, literature, and English majors study Shakespeare. Shakespeare is a traditional literary author. Another example of this would be history majors who study Ancient Rome and Greece. The traditional courses could not overrule popular culture because the traditional courses sizably influence popular culture courses.

In conclusion, the study of popular culture can be as valuable as the study of traditional literary and historical subjects because the study of popular culture can prepare students adulthood. Technological advancements have influenced many career tracks, and students must receive the proper training to stand out in their careers. The obligation of a school is to prepare students for adulthood, and by not including popular culture courses in a schools curriculum, the school is failing to perform this task. Traditional literature and history courses are the foundation for popular culture, therefore, the traditional courses could not be more or less valuable than the popular culture courses.