My First Accident | Teen Ink

My First Accident

November 30, 2012
By KatlynTetzlaff SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
KatlynTetzlaff SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Disappointment, disbelief, and fear filled my mind as I stood next to my destroyed car. After a few seconds, bad emotions started running through my mind.

It was a beautiful hot summer day in July. I was driving home from a fun filled day with friends on the lake, unfortunately I did not make it home right after because I was involved a car accident. What happened that afternoon changed the way I drive, taught me some valuable lessons and came to the conclusion that life is too short to take things for granted.

I was coming over a hill when all of a sudden the car in front of me made a sudden stop. I instantly collided with the car. The sick rush of nervousness flowed through my body. I immediately thought to myself, “Oh no, my parents are going to kill me. Why did this have to happen to me?”

I started shuffling though my purse looking for my cell phone. I find it and instantly call my Mother. “Hello” my mom said, trying to get the words out through all my tears. I said “Mom, I was just in an accident.” She tried to calm me down with the words of “Are you okay? I respond by saying, “I never want to drive again.” That is when all the bad thoughts starting kicking in.

At this point, I am shaking uncontrollably as I manage to try and get out of my car. The lady from the other vehicle runs over to me, and as her voice stutters, manages to ask, “are you hurt?”. In fear, I respond by saying, “I’m alright, just a little scared.” As I am trying to get out of the car, the door won’t budge. At this point, I climb over and go out through my back passenger door only to see the whole front side of my car smashed in and glass shattered from the impact. Liquids are starting to flow from underneath my car.

In a short distance I begin to see the red and blue lights coming. I waited for the police officer to walk over and approach me, as everything was about to unfold from what just happened.

Thinking back to that hot summer day in July, I come to my senses that life’s lessons are to be taken seriously. The accident has taught me to be wiser with my actions; it has taught me that driving is a privilege and not just a game to play. As I close, I can’t express enough as to how this experience has changed me as a person. Attending college at the UW-Milwaukee will be one privilege I challenge myself to, knowing there will be plenty of ups and downs to deal with. I look forward to it and to whatever may hold for my future!


The author's comments:
It is written about my first accident and how it changed my perspective on life.