why madison? | Teen Ink

why madison?

By sam fredman BRONZE, Fgdf, Wisconsin
sam fredman BRONZE, Fgdf, Wisconsin

Tell us why you decided to apply to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition, share with us the academic, extracurricular, or research opportunities you would take advantage of as a student. If applicable, provide details of any circumstance that could have had an impact on your academic performance and/or extracurricular involvement.

Don’t know

“Sam, what are your plans for this weekend?” my dad asks me

“I’m not quite sure yet. Why?”

“Would you and your friends want the tickets for the Badger game this weekend?”

“Absolutely!” I say without any hesitation.

Usually, we would go up to the game together as a family—my mom, dad, little sister, and me. We would typically meet up with our friends and tailgate before the game. It’s tradition. It’s what we love to do.
But whenever my dad gives me tickets for the games, I immediately get on the phone and call one of my good friends, who currently is a student at Madison, Matt Peterson.

“Matty P! What’s up?” I say emphatically.

“Freddyman! Not much, you? he says back.

“My dad gave my some Badger tickets for this weekend, do you want to meet up?”

“For sure dude, I’ll tell everybody you’re coming!”

This is exciting for me; I don’t get to see my friends who are in college very often, so when I get a reason to go to Madison, I won’t hesitate to go.

Ever since I was little I have been exposed to the University of Madison. Both my parents—Madison graduates, Timothy Fredman and Patricia Platner—have been preparing me for attending the University of Madison. But it’s not just my parents. In the last three generations alone, 18 of my relatives have attended or are currently attending Madison. Nine of those 18 are engineers, which is the field that I am interested in pursuing. As of now, however, I don’t know which direction I want to go within the College of Engineering.

Who’s footprints do I follow? Do I follow my dad, Tim Fredman, and receive a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering? Or do I follow my cousin, Laura Platner, and become a Biomedical Engineer? Or maybe follow my mom, Patricia Platner, and study Agricultural Engineering? Or how about I make my own? I enjoy my math classes and AP Physics—maybe I’ll major in Engineering Physics or Materials Sciences and Engineering.

Ring Ring Ring

“Hello?”

“Hey Sam! It’s your dad. Your mom and I are coming up this weekend for the game! Do you want to meet up?”

“Absolutely! I’m in section N, what section are your tickets? I respond

“We’re in section B.”

“Okay then we will just plan on meeting up at halftime and then after the game you guys can come back to my dorm!” I say

“Alright, sounds good. See you this weekend! GO BADGERS!”