Forever Best Friend, Forever Hero | Teen Ink

Forever Best Friend, Forever Hero

May 25, 2008
By Anonymous

When I look back at all my memories, as far back as I can remember, there is a constant theme in every single one of them. Whether it's a memory of a sporting event, a fun time with my family, or a hard time I've been faced with in the past, the theme is constantly there. There is one person in my life taht has been a part of every memory and has been there for me when I needed her the most. This person is my sister, Shea McParlane. I always knew that Shea was not just an ordinary sibling, and that we shared somethign that was special, but I now know the perfect word that defines who she is. I realize now that she is truly my hero.

My hero has accomplished many things, but I admire her, most importantly, for the way she has accomplished them. When she sets her mind to do something, she will work to the best of her ability to accomplish that task. Each time she succeeds, she just inspires me even more to do the same. She seems to be the foundation of my success. She pushes me to be the best I can be no matter what it is. One way she pushes me is by being one of my biggest fans on the sidelines of every sports game I play. She helps me with my faults, and continues to help me make my strengths stronger.

My sister is not only a huge inspiration for me, but also a role model. Whenever I see my sister with people, she seems to stand out by treating everyone equally with respect. One quality that makes her so amiable is the way she always keeps a positive attitude and a smile on her face, even when things aren't goin the way she may have expected. Shea always cheers me up and makes everyone in her surroundings feel good. She is willing to help, whatever the circumstance may be. Whenever I am stuck on a problem on homework, or don't understand the material for a test, she is the first one to take time out of her day just to help me. I admire her for being such a caring person, always putting others before herself.

The part of Shea that I probably admire the most is her loving heart. I have never seen any sister treat another sister with more love. Sometimes it's just the little things that mean the world to me: the special "I love you" every night before I go to sleep, the pep talks before soccer games, and all encouraging comments that make me feel good. I feel that anything I face in life, good or bad, she will help me out and always be there. That is what separates a sister from a hero.

I think a hero should be somebody that you revere and look up to with great respect; someone you think is living their life how you wish to live yours; a role model that sets examples for you to follow; and most importantly, someone who inspires you to be the best person you can be. When I thought through my memories, and all the people involved in my life, I couldn't think of anybody better that fit my definition of a hero than my sister. That's why, no matter what happens, Shea will always be my inspiration, my role model, my best friend, my personal hero.