Too Much Pressure? Not for Me. | Teen Ink

Too Much Pressure? Not for Me.

January 7, 2008
By Anonymous

I was sweating even though it was cold. I was tense even though I was on vacation. My school work was done, so that wasn’t the problem. I was in the midst of filling my first order for Keepa Kouture, a fashion yarmulke company I co-founded with a friend, and everything seemed to be going wrong. The day had started on a much more positive note. I had been awakened by my adorable sister, who handed me a UPS package. The samples of the trendy yarmulkes I design and sell had arrived. I was overwhelmed with joy until I realized that the samples that had arrived, which were made of beautiful fabric and design, lacked the perfect workmanship that I expected.
I called my partner, who was supposed to be in town to join me in presenting the samples, but he had decided to spend the day with his girlfriend. In the middle of that conversation I got another call from the executive editor of Modern Jeweler Magazine, where I had done a summer internship. He wanted some pictures for one of the articles I had written about a pearl company owned by my friend’s mother who was having some business challenges. I also had to make final arrangements for my visit to Boston University the next day. Too much pressure? Not for me.
I shook off the cold and tension and spent the rest of the day making phone calls and sending emails, getting the details right for all of my various projects. My visit to Boston University was exhilarating and ended with a visit to the Hillel House, where an amazing business idea hit me: I would make college specific, fashionable yarmulkes to be sold to Jewish students who want to display their fashion sense and school pride. I got the jewelry pictures from my photographer to the editor, just beating the deadline. I wish I could report that I had the same amount of success with my business order. Instead I opted to wait and perfect the product. Although I failed in this endeavor in the short run, I was not daunted I know that with every failure come knowledge and experience, and I would never let a bump on the road stop me. After I talked to the manufacturer and explained the deficiencies in the samples, we set up a new launch date. I now have two large orders for the merchandise that I know will please the customers. But that doesn't mean something else won't go wrong.