Need for Leadership | Teen Ink

Need for Leadership

Harry Truman once said, “Men make history not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better.” The quote that Truman states above is one I live by, it’s true that progress only occurs when someone chooses to take charge and set an example for those who are to coward to step up to the plate. We need more leaders in our society today: young adults that can make a difference in the way we live. I believe that I hold the ability in order to lead others to success. During high school I was involved in extracurricular activities varying from Leadership Council to Darfur Club. Each club demanded a certain type of devotion. Being president of Darfur Club you had to show a level of leadership skills to your peers and figure out innovative ways where you can educate others on the genocide taking place in Darfur. You held a lot of responsibility and stress but you had to show everyone around you that you had it under control. Leadership Council was a club where you learned about becoming a leader but not only for your but your community as well. As a group we accomplished many tasks whether it was raising money for a local charity, or just volunteering at a school event. Being a leader in that club taught me to communicate well with others which brought cohesion between one another.
I believe I can enrich your community with a unique perspective, and the ability to want to grow and prosper as a person, but also in the academic division that your community already harbors. With the devotion and perseverance I learned in high school I could apply it to challenges I’m faced within college.

Both of my parents didn’t attend college, but every day they push me to succeed and aim for the excellent to not make the same mistakes they did. I want my college experience to help be a good teacher to others. I want to go to college to give my children a better way of life then what I had. My hope for a college experience is to be filled with unforgettable memories, once in a lifetime opportunities, and friendships that will last a life time. It may sound cliché but I’d like my college experience to be just that. Being in an inclusive community that is devoted to excellence and deeper understandings in academics is exactly the place I want to be. A college experience should encompass a good environment with devoted professors that will help you grow as a person not just a student. My goal is to go to Boulder and major in the Pre-Medical program. I know that if I push myself to success it will come with patience. I want to immerse myself in the different cultures and experience a new city, Boulder seems like a beautiful place and I believe it would be an unforgettable experience.

Concluding, I believe that I could enrich your community with the determination and leadership skills, and with those skills make light of situations and guide others into their paths of success and teach them to be leaders on their own. I’d also like for my college experience to be a positive one where I can focus on my studies and make a better future for myself and my family.

please give all honest opinions and give me tips to make it better!

on Jan. 12 2012 at 4:24 pm
marissadele PLATINUM, Danbury, Connecticut

"If you know how you feel, and so clearly what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

This is pretty good. =) i could totally see it getting in the magazine