What would you want your roommate to know about you? | Teen Ink

What would you want your roommate to know about you?

December 23, 2011
By Majorr SILVER, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Majorr SILVER, Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The first thing I would want my roommate to know about me is that I am terrified. The idea of leaving everything and everyone I have ever known is one that my head has not yet wrapped itself around. I have kept myself awake night after night, wide eyed, a stream of what-ifs marching around my mind. I have had moments where I wished time hadn't gone by so fast, and I could still be a dimple-faced elementary schooler, whose future is as distant as the unknown places on the other side of the globe. But along with this fear, is pure excitement. This scary idea of leaving home is also thrilling, I am anxious to learn and grow and be a part of the real world. I watched as my incredible sister left for college 3 years ago, and the idea of me leaving was so far off, but now it is the shocking reality that I must embrace. I will take on whatever is thrown at me, and I will enter each experience with open arms, even if those arms are trembling.

Next, I want my roommate to know that I am a very open minded, loving individual. I love meeting new people and making new friends, so I do my best to be nice and inclusive towards every person I come across. I am upbeat and outgoing for the most part, though I do feel shy and self conscious at times, as I imagine everyone does. I think that being positive and working hard is all that one can do in hopes of progressing. I know, through experience, that maintaining a positive attitude can seem insurmountable at times, but I also know that these times pass, and we must pick up our broken pieces and stay strong.

My roommate should also know that the only thing I am intolerant of is intolerance. This said, I respect the views and opinions of others, as I know we are all from different backgrounds, and have different beliefs.

There isn't that much else that I would want my roommate to know about me, without meeting her first. This is because everything I know about myself comes from experiences I have had in one place, with a set of people from that same place. There is so much I have yet to learn about who I am, and these discoveries will come from being in a completely new place, with new people, and the opportunity to make my own decisions. I don't want to be defined by who I was in High School, not to say I am unhappy with that person, I simply feel that there is so much more out there for me to uncover.