Are You Wicked? | Teen Ink

Are You Wicked?

“Are people born wicked, or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?”
- Glinda the Good (Wicked)

I believe that people choose to be wicked or kind. I believe that if you could change your past, you could mess up a great future. I believe if you judge a book by its cover, you’re missing out on a great story.

A Juvenal, Roman Satanist once wrote that, “No one becomes extremely wicked, suddenly” and I agree. Becoming wicked, like succeeding, takes time. As a child, you simply copy others examples, in order to learn, and you continue learning for the rest of your life. For example, picture back on September 11, 2001, when you first heard about the fall of the twin towers. You probably hated the people who flew the plane in to the side of the first tower, but did you ever wonder why they did this? They could have lost control of the plane. Or it could have been purposely, due to the way they hated America

Picture yourself sitting at home at night, watching your favorite television show, just to have it interrupted by breaking news. There has been a shooting at the local high school by a freshman student. He supposedly brought the gun to school because he had been bullied at school for a long period of time. He never went to anybody for help he thought he could solve his own problems for himself by bringing the gun to school. Just look where he is now, alone in a cold prison cell.

Like wickedness, you can find acts of kindness in school, at home, and just about everywhere you go. Your friends’ locker is jammed and you help them open it, you drop your papers in the hall and a stranger helps you pick them up. Your parents are busy so you start dinner for them or watch your siblings. No one can help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

I believe that everyone has a little wickedness in them, whether the know it or not. For example, I joke around with my friend a lot. They know if I said something hurtful, that I didn’t really mean it. We both know that, but if it was really offensive to them, then we would tell each other. We could hurt each others feelings without even knowing, unless we’re honest with each other.

If we judge people by looks alone, what sort of a world would we live in? The person that you thought that you would never get along with could end up being your best friend. By not judging them by appearance, but by personality and interests, you may have made a new friend for life. By giving the person a chance, you each got a chance to make a new friend. These things often occur to me on the first day of school. “Are my friends still here?” or “Do we have a new kid in class?” or “Should I make some new friends?”

Some people might say I am wicked, other might say otherwise. My brothers would definitely say that I’m wicked because I have power over them that they do not have over me because I’m older then them. Some of my friends may say that I’m kind, because I help them with homework when they need help. Some might say that I’m both because we can make fun of each other, and know that we really don’t mean any hurtful thing that we might say. That’s the beauty of life, because if we had no evil, there would be no good. And if we had no good, there would be no evil.

In this world there are people of all sorts. Some are kind, others wicked, and some are both. So how do you think someone would classify you as you walk down the street? In their eyes, would you be wicked or kind?