This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone was as dependable as you wanted them to be? Well that isn’t the way things go people will always let you down and no matter how good of a friend you are to them, doesn’t mean they will return the favor. I believe that you can’t depend on anyone else but yourself.

One time my sister and I planned to go to a movie. Just me and her, no one else. But of course last minute her boyfriend called and invited himself. Then she uninvited me because she didn’t want me ‘tagging along’. It wasn’t really a big deal but it just shows that even people who supposedly love you will choose a guy over you.

Never put your guard down, people can throw around the word ‘best friend’ but it really doesn’t mean anything. Liking someone they like never seems to fail breaking a friendship apart. When that happened, it made me realize that they weren’t really friends at all. And that the word ‘best friends’ has exceptions. then all the secrets and things you trusted them with while you were friends aren’t secrets anymore.

Handing someone your trust is the dumbest thing you could ever do. Don’t ask them “Am I just wasting my time on you or do you really want to make this work?”. Because they aren’t going to say, “Nope, I’m just going to dump you in a few days, but I’ll keep you around for now”. They are just going to lie to make you feel better.

So basically trust is nothing you want people to have. And if you do, don’t have high hopes for whatever your trusting them with to work out. And that’s why I believe you can’t depend on anyone, you can only depend on yourself.