The Lady of Newkirk Plaza | Teen Ink

The Lady of Newkirk Plaza

By auiricle BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
auiricle BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Someday, the light will shine like a sun through my skin & they will say, What have you done with your life? & though there are many moments I think I will remember, in the end, I will be proud to say, I was one of us.”

There is a patchwork-clad homeless woman that lives outside the Newkirk Plaza subway station, and every time I pass her sitting on her cold cement curb it rips my heart right out.

This woman has haunted my thoughts throughout my childhood. I have always kept her at the periphery of my mind; in a way part of me is always with her, at the plaza.

Yet twice a day every day for years I had passed her and justified not stopping to help her. I was always too busy – or so I told myself. The truth was, I was too uncomfortable, and too preoccupied with my own life, to even ask her name.

I think that one of the reasons I passed by her so often, at least subconsciously, was the perceived futility in stopping at all. Deep down I think I felt that the problem of homelessness was too big for me; an essay on Macbeth and a math test more reasonable challenges to tackle. One day as I passed her, though, I just lost it. Angry at my own inaction and my willful blindness, I went up to the lady of Newkirk Plaza and I emptied my pockets to her. If I had premeditated this at all I might've known what to do next, but I hadn't and I didn't, and so I quickly turned a corner and found myself a stoop to sit on.

I suppose I gave my money to the woman in hopes of reaching some cathartic fulfillment, but I had no such luck. As I threw my crumpled bills down, I realized how perverse the entire situation was. There is no more self-serving a reason to give than because you perceive a living, breathing human being as a route for self-fulfillment.

That day, I learnt an uncomfortable truth about charity. In giving her all my money, I realized that there is no clear-cut distinction between right and wrong here; I can't just equate giving with right and not giving with wrong.

Long have I struggled with the knowledge that, in my socio-economic position, I face the ethical dilemma of being the judge of the worth of other human beings on a daily basis, but it was not until that moment that I realized how much of a dizzying spectrum there is in act of giving.

The spectrum is about mindfulness. Keeping in mind the humanity of the person I'm giving to is as much a part of the giving: if I were to give out of pity, I would be dehumanizing the object of my aid to just that – an object.

I'm at a point where the underlying meaning is clear to me, but the path is still hidden. I know that I must strive towards empathy; solidarity; mindfulness in my day-to-day interactions, but I don't know quite how. Self-doubts aside, though, the lady of Newkirk Plaza has taught me that the time to start interacting with the world around me has finally come.

tsk tsk, there are no easy blurbs here