Single Parenting This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"You can do anything you want to do as long as you set your mind to it and stick with it."

I remember hearing those words from my mother ever since I was a little girl. Through the years I've grown up believing in them and using them as my inspiration. You see, there is no one I admire more than my mother.

When I was four years old, my mother and father got divorced, although he didn't live with us since I was two. At the time, my brother was only eight. Being a single parent is a hard enough job in itself but my mother also worked full time.

Now most people who hear about this situation automatically assume that at least one if not both children ended up getting into some kind of trouble whether with the law or something else, but in this case that never happened. My mother taught both of us about morals, goals and rules, along with many other things. Granted my brother and I got into fights with one another, but, hey, kids will be kids.

Even though she works all week, my mom always had time for us, whether it was to take us to our baseball and soccer games or if we just needed someone to talk to. At one point I remember clearly that I had a speech problem, and she made me practice every night over and over again until I got it right.

All in all, I feel I can talk to my mother about anything, with her acting more as a friend than a parent. I realize that not everyone has a mother like mine, which makes me appreciate her even more. After everything she has done for me, I want to make her proud by being the first female in my family to go to college and get a degree. -

liv_luv_4eva said...
today at 11:11 pm:
My parents have been divorced for 10 years now and I know my father but he and I are not very close. I feel like he doesn't care. My mom worked full time and she was my hero. I can totally relate to your article. Nice work! For me to write something like this is half relief and half heartache. 

RileyHDWerner said...
You have a tense change in the first sentence of paragraph 3, but very nice otherwise, good concept. I like th focus on Pathos.