On Forrest Gump as a Personal Inspiration | Teen Ink

On Forrest Gump as a Personal Inspiration

July 16, 2011
By LydiaAnzures BRONZE, Burbank, California
LydiaAnzures BRONZE, Burbank, California
4 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Desiderius Erasmus


(The following response is best read in a thick Alabama accent)

Mama always said I could learn plenty from Forrest Gump. It's true. Gump is a personal inspiration because it fits so many lessons in its 142-minute run, inspires me to be a better person, and enjoy what life has to offer. But let me be more specific:

I've since made many friends by introducing myself and offering 'em chocolate.

"Dontcha dream about who you'll be, Forrest?"
"Aren't-aren't I gonna be me?"
Gump taught me to be myself, not to aim to live someone else's life, and to focus on being the best I can be.

Generosity. I now cut proverbial grass for free by tutoring kids at my school, and helping out my community.

I've personally dealt with tragedy (death of a family member), but I focus on the future because, "Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on." I think about the future a lot. I want to be a physicist to study the wonders of the universe and contribute to the future with my share of innovations, advancements 'n such.

Gump shows that when running through life, you'll encounter some "stuff." It happens. You just keep right on running.

I now push myself all the time. When I run to a goal, I figure I might as well keep going. When I'm the top student in my school's French program, I figure I might as well study more and compete nationally (I ranked 2nd place nationally).

My life is better thanks to Forrest Gump, my personal inspiration.

And that’s all I have to say about that.


The author's comments:
The college application asked me to describe a film that has been a personal inspiration to me. The catch? It had to be 280 WORDS or less.

Those who I showed my piece to said it showed a sense of humor while still staying on topic, and that it addressed the prompt and also told the reader about the type of person I was. I wanted everyone to see that you can be fun and original in these short essays. Don't be afraid to show everyone your personality!