Agnes | Teen Ink

Agnes MAG

By Anonymous

   As they say, different strokes for different folks. When most people learn that one of the two greatest loves of my life is my cat, they either laugh or give me one of those "isn't that cute" smiles. But, truth to tell, she's just perfection in a cute little black body. Any animal lover would agree with me. However, you don't have to be an animal lover to appreciate the love offered by a pet.

My cat, Agnes, is very special to me. I remember the day I brought her home, on a trial basis, of course. Well, six and a half years later she's still here. She has become one of my best friends. Some people probably couldn't imagine the two of us sitting outside watching the night sky and discussing my problems. But it's true, because I know she understands. Even though she can't give me any advice, most of the time, I see it in her eyes.

Though she is the most dominant, Agnes isn't my only pet. We have two other cats, her kittens. We also have two ferrets, Cochise and Zucchini, an iguana, Charlie, and fish, nameless for now. My love for animals has necessitated this homemade menagerie, and my personality has reveled in it. Nowhere else will I find somewhere to be myself, talk about my problems and have a good time, than in the midst of playing ferrets, sleeping cats, swimming fish, or a serene iguana.

All these pets are important to me, just as a pet is important to any person. No matter which one is right for you, any pet is a lifelong friend. Who do you talk to when you're blue? Who will always listen to you complain without talking back? Who will always be with you, whether in your heart or on your lap? Who is easy to repay with the simple brush of a hand? Only the name of your pet answers all these questions. -