Letting Go | Teen Ink

Letting Go

By jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut
jackiee129 PLATINUM, Kent, Connecticut

"It makes me happy when I see teenage girls who clearly don't fit in, gives me hope that the future might still have personality" - Haley Williams

“You are not your bra-size, nor are you the width of your waist, nor are you the slenderness of your calves. You are not your hair color, your skin color, nor are you a shade of lipstick. Your shoe-size is of no consequence. You are not defined by the amount of attention you get from males, females, or any combination thereof. You are not the number of sit-ups you can do, nor are you the number of calories in a day. You are not your mustache. You are not the hair on your legs. You are not a little red dress. You are no amalgam of these things. You are the content of your character. You are the ambitions that drive you. You are the goals that you set. You are the things that you laugh at and the words that you say. You are the thoughts you think and the things you wonder. You are beautiful and desirable not for the clique you attend, but for the spark of life within you that compels you to make your life a full and meaningful one. You are beautiful not for the shape of the vessel, but for the volume of the soul it carries.”

The mild summer air was refreshing against my hot skin as I pedaled over the divots and cracks in the sidewalk. My legs pumped furiously as I tried to keep pace with the man ahead of me. His tall, dark silhouette was perched on the bike with the easy confidence that simply emanates from him with everything he does. The bright lights of oncoming traffic caught the edge of his thin rimmed glasses, causing a fleeting glare. His salt and pepper hair and raggedy t-shirt became my beacon, the light that I followed to our destination. This is my father, the man that I have placed on a pedestal since my childhood, and the one person who will forever let me down. My eyes have been opened to his actions, my expectations of him close to none, but yet I continue on, following in his wake and finally coming to a stop in front of a small diner. It is well past midnight, but there are still a few straggling souls, their expressions distant as they recede into the troubles of their minds. The door shuts behind us with the gentle tinkle of bells. My father slides easily up to the counter as I find my place beside him. We order black and white milkshakes, our favorite, and sip them leisurely as we survey the scene around us. We talk about nothing and everything all at once. We talk about life and love and the ridiculous plights of our large, histrionic family. He makes me laugh until tears stream down my face. My father can always make me laugh. We finish our treat, and he offers a generous tip and his crooked smile as we depart, back into the night.

These are the memories I choose to keep with me when it comes to my father. Just like these brief summer adventures, his presence in my life is fleeting at best, but always brings the hope that our situation, for that ephemeral moment in time, holds the promise of better days. I could be bitter because he left, I could be angry because he doesn’t call, I could be so many things; yet I have chose this memory , and countless others, to hold close to my heart. I would rather remember him for the things he has given me, than the things he has taken away. By doing this, I have learned to persevere, that out of every negative situation there is always something positive to be taken away from it. My father, inadvertently, has made me come to realize that I want so much more for myself than what he has provided. I want to excel in whatever aspect I can; I want to see new places, meet new people, and ultimately do what I love. In seeing his wasted talent, all of his potential thrown to the wayside, I have developed a passion for learning and a drive to rival that of many people I come across. He has aided me in realizing all I have to offer, and provided the fire to push me toward my goals, and for that, I thank him.