Who Am I? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I like reading The Economist and watching "I love the 80s." I like tennis, Fazoli's breadsticks and writing assignments. I value honesty, commitment, scholarship and kindness. These are hard and true facts, but there is a lot I do not know about myself. I don't know how I feel about the death penalty, I have mixed feelings about religion, and I don't know what I think about a cashless society. I have no stock answer to offer about a life-changing experience or a moment of enlightenment, and it is hard for me to give a comprehensive proclamation of who I am, for my identity unfolds more every day as my experiences grow. Since I am only 17 years old, life has a lot of unfolding to do.

I dislike saying "I am trying to find myself" because my identity is not lost, it just needs more uncovering. Luckily for me, what I love to do and want to be helps me uncover more about myself. I want to be a writer. I may not end up a professional writer but I will always write, even if I am the only one interested in my work, because writing is my self-reflection.

When writing, I sometimes get worked up into such a fervor that I barely know what I am saying. I just let my fingers fly over the keyboard and the ideas pour from my head. When I go back through the jumble of unpunctuated ideas, I notice a theme running through the writing. I don't try to put a moral in the theme, but invariably it happens. Evaluating the theme and the rest of the writing helps me interpret my own character and decipher my at times bottled-up feelings. In opinion essays, my values show. In stories, the fictional characters express my beliefs.

Every day my experience and knowledge increase, and I learn more about myself. Each time I write what is in my head as honestly as I can, another piece of the identity puzzle is revealed. Mostly, I like what is unearthed (though this varies depending on how "teenage girl-ish" I'm feeling). I am not worried that I don't know everything about myself. As I get older, I'll figure it out.

Lilianaacuna said...
Sep. 23 at 3:16 pm:
I am currently applying for colleges, so I understand how much thought you have to think about these questions, that I can't even answer myself.

Ali L. said...
Jul. 9 at 11:16 pm:
You asked who you are but in my veiw, actually you know very well about yourself.  Meanwhile, I agree that you are lucky for at least you have your hobby and you are sure of that. Poor the guys including me who do know what they really like.

Deej6595 said...
This is a good essay. I feel the same way you do and so do most teens so, it is good that you are writing this down for others to see.

LALALALAAL said...
Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm:
what was the theme??

Deej6595 said...
I actually think it is better to start off your college essay like this. It's more personal than a mundane school format. I want to write my esssay like this, so thanks for the reassurement.

sepanya.com replied...
Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:14 am :
i love it.i've learned a lot from it and nw i have a bright ideas on how to answer dat question.

. said...
I'm sure quite a few people feel this way (I know I do). What was the propmpt or was this just a practice? Thanks for the de-stressor.

SmellsLikeTeenWriter said...
I hate to break it to you, but this essay isn't great. Maybe it's good, but it certainly isn't anything a college admissions board hasn't seen before. Your grammar is fine, but your imagery is weak and actually very cliched. If there are 6 billion people in the world, then 7 billion want to be writers. Don't tell them that you want to be a writer; show them. Show them by writing an essay about something you are passionate about. And preferably something other than writing, an... (more »)

boredd2233 replied...
Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:59 pm :
how can 7 billion people want to be writters if you're saying there's only 6 billion people in the world? And this essay was pretty good... and there are 7 billion people in the world and your username is friggen amazing<3 nirvana<3

aakachandra replied...
Jun. 13 at 4:22 am :
I truly agree with @SmellLikeTeenWriter . The essay is good but not great. You dont need to tell what you like or love. Many do it that way. It sounds like a raw beginning. The essay's first impressions should be as good as its last.

Sarah said...
I loved it! Very well written and it was focusing on you and that was a typical college essay should be. :)

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm:
I really like it. I feel the same way, although I'm going into high school next year. This, however, does invariably show who you are-- a good and polished writer. Your grammar was flawless, by the way.

Dickey05 replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm :
Yeah i agree with that, and i sometime feel the same...

bdaly2012 said...
In the second parapgraph you use the word write, or writing a lot. I know there aren't many synonyms to the word but try using thesaurus.com and see what word you think works for you. Other than that I think that this piece has very descriptive language, the words really set the scene in my mind.

editpem3 said...
I loved it, and I feel the same way as you do!

BeeCubed said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm:
I love this, I've read it countless times.. I even showed my mother this piece of work. The strcture of it is flawless and really showes who you are inside and out. Thanks for sharing it with us !!

kahlon said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:05 am:
there is a lot of moron word in it

kahlon said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:02 am:
okey la i like it....

lucky said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:13 am:
ur creativity ez so much good u can post more and more creativity about urself i love this.......................

Jamesboy said...
i like they you wrote an essay. I got more knowledge from>>>>>>