The Successful Flame | Teen Ink

The Successful Flame

By Larrecia BRONZE, Plano, Illinois
Larrecia BRONZE, Plano, Illinois

The Successful Flame

There was a stench when the door opened. Everything smelled like smoke. The refrigerator went from white to gray. The couches were destroyed. Windows were tinted with a smoky fog. Clothes were ruined and scattered on the floor. Everything was a disaster. The house that I once called a home was gone forever. My house was set on fire and there was no going back. There was no such thing as putting the pieces back together. The house was gone.
For half of my seventh grade year, I woke up in a room that was not mine; I lived in a hotel for six months. The bills were covered by insurance. Most would say that to have the experience of living in a hotel is remarkable, but I missed my old life. I owned nothing in the hotel room. Living in a hotel is a great experience in the beginning, but after a while things can get boring. The drive to school took almost two hours. Before I moved it would take five minutes.
‘’ Everything will be fine. It will take some progress and hard work,’’ my parents said.
These words were imprinted into my mind. With hard work, comes success. I started to notice that my parents were working more often. It was as if we started from scratch. With time, I noticed a change. Since my parents were working more, my sisters and I would stay at my grandmother’s house for a few days each time. When we would go back to the hotel, there would be gifts on our beds. The excitement of receiving new outfits, shoes, and games overpowered the pain that was once there.

After all of the tiring nights, from working long hours, my parents were happy. Nothing came easy for them, but the smile on our faces was their reward and appreciation. My parent’s careers allowed for their hard work to pay off because after six months of living in a hotel, driving me and my sisters to school every morning , and starting from scratch, we were in a home of our own. The new home relinquished the painful memories of my old house being destroyed.

The flames opened up a barrier that I had inside of me that could have held me back from reality and success. Before the fire, I expected things to be handed to me. Throughout my life, I will strive and do my best at everything so that in the end I will be fortunate. College would allow me to have a career of my own that will contribute to a lifestyle where I could handle life’s milestones. The memories of the chaos will last forever, but the outcome of the fire will be my success.

Since the fire, I have been motivated to attend college. Not only will college be a great experience, college will also be a great opportunity. Attending college is my first priority in life. Once I reach my goal, to attend college, I will strive to be committed to my career. My career choice is to become a nurse. My mother was a nurse during the time when the fire occurred. My mother was prepared financially to support the family because of her career. Nurses not only make a nice amount of money, but they also help people. I would love to be in he position to be able to make someone feel better. Helping others brings joy to me.

Success does not only come from college. Others find ways to become successful people. The path that one wants to take is their decision. I choose to go to college to become successful. In my opinion, college is what best fits me and the lifestyle that I lean towards.

none said...
on Mar. 22 2011 at 10:29 am

For half Photo credit: Luz T., Berkeley, CAof my seventh grade year, I woke up in a room that was not mine; I lived in a hotel for six months. The bills were covered by insurance. Most would say that to have the experience of living in a hotel is remarkable, but I missed my old life. I owned nothing in the hotel room. Living in a hotel is a great experience in the beginning, but after a while things can get boring. The drive to school took almost two hours. Before I moved it would take five minutes.