A life not-lived | Teen Ink

A life not-lived

By XOLyssamarieXD PLATINUM, Bellingham, Massachusetts
XOLyssamarieXD PLATINUM, Bellingham, Massachusetts

"Be not deceived if I have veiled my look I turn the trouble of my countenance merely upon myself"

On October 20, 2010, I wore a purple shirt and purple Converse sneakers to school. That day, some of my classmates where dressed as superheroes, due to the fact it was spirit week preceding the Homecoming dance that Saturday; but I was supporting an issue I felt strongly about. The issue at hand was the memory of six teenagers who took their lives due to daily harassment because of their sexual orientation.
At the beginning of the week I had gotten a notice, via Facebook event, reading “Wear purple on October 20th for: Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation”. It brought to light that there are innocent teenagers taking their lives because of a lifestyle that they did not choose.
I thought how awful it must be to not be able to be who you want to be because of something you hadn’t even chosen. We take some things like walking down the street holding hands or being able to slow dance at your prom, for granted. What would it be like if we couldn’t have these things? Living in a life where you cannot reach for the stars.

I know that it is important to raise awareness, but unfortunately it is impossible to change everyone. I challenge these people to sit back and think, what would happen if it was them, who did not fit in. I know most of them wouldn’t or it would be hard, because it is difficult to imagine a lifestyle in which you do not live.
I fully support these gestures of compassion and reaching out to these kids in need. Although I am not gay, I have been through a lot when it comes to fitting in. It has never been easy for me to make friends, and given whatever reason… I do not know. This too is a lifestyle, I did not choose.
As far as Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transgenders are concerned, my final piece of advice is to look towards the future. There will soon be someone who loves you, just the way you are. Everyone has a purpose on this Earth, and yours may be to fight and prevail.

My college essay, it took me awhile to put it up! It's finally here, though.