How will your presence enrich our community? | Teen Ink

How will your presence enrich our community?

January 4, 2011
By Kirstyn SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Kirstyn SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On the opposing team’s 30 yard line, the center hikes the ball to the quarterback. The quarterback fakes a handoff to the running back, while spotting out the wide receiver that is deep. Out of the corner of his eye, he observes the linebacker running straight towards him. He has no protection. While wide receiver is approaching the end zone, the safety gets to him. With his hands trembling, the quarterback has no other option but to toss the ball to the covered receiver. He jumped to grab the ball, and the safety jumped with him. Incomplete. As the wide receiver drops, his head smashes the ground. Timeout. My heart is racing as I run out onto the field. I distribute water to each of the players, while the injured player is carried off the field. He is diagnosed with a concussion. He fights me as I try to confiscate his helmet. Tears are rolling down his cheeks. He couldn’t help but to think, it’s over.
Being the team manager and student athletic trainer of Arrowhead’s Varsity football team allowed me to appreciate things like hard work, dedication, and strong commitment. The first time I was able to view the game from the sidelines, I was able to see every detail of the game, which no one from the crowd could possibly do. For my job, these details are very important. I always have to be alert and ready to attend to injured players. I need to be of assistance to anyone in need.
Never have I realized before the vast commitment these athletes make, in order to achieve their desired perfect season. In a matter of less than four months, I commit to over 350 hours of volunteering. I spend my time sitting at countless hours of practice, taping each player before each practice and each game, and distributing over thirty gallons of water to the players to assure hydration.
And then there’s Friday nights.
Thousands of spectators spend their Friday nights in the cold stadium watching the clock trickle down, as the Arrowhead football team plays their hearts out. And, it is up to me, the team manager, to assure everything goes well. There is never a better feeling than watching my team win, and know they couldn’t have done it without me.

The author's comments:
My desired major is Kinesiology because I would like my career to be an athletic trainer for a football team. Will all of the volunteer hours I put into helping out Arrowhead High School's varsity football team, I felt as though I served a good purpose for something I take particular interest in.