I Need the Ocean | Teen Ink

I Need the Ocean

By Cameron Kruger BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
Cameron Kruger BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California

I need the ocean. The ocean is the most stimulating part of nature to me. Growing up right next to the ocean and experiencing it in many different ways such as sailing, surfing, and fishing is what contributes to the person I am today. Through surfing I am able to open my mind to countless ideas and rid myself of anything holding me back in my everyday life. While in or on the ocean, I experience feelings and thoughts that bring true inspiration and motivation to my life.
Experiencing the ocean at a young age was what anchored my heart in a deep love for the sea. While I was young, not only did I enjoy surfing but I spent a lot of time sailing and fishing as well. Learning the multiple parts of my laser sail boat and spending time sailing through Huntington Beach Harbor where I lived was just one of the ways for me to connect with the ocean. Fishing was another way that I spent quality time on the ocean whether near Catalina or San Clemente Island or even Mexico. Fishing was also a time when I connected and made countless memories with my grandfather and other family. Spending countless days on the ocean allowed me to have heartfelt memories with family enjoying the high seas.

Being on the ocean constantly in my life today brings me back to many childhood memories and helps me to create more and more memories and genuine enjoyment in my life. Being submerged in the deep ocean water is an out of body experience for me and I am so fortunate to be able to have this amazing feeling quite often. I have never felt freer in my entire life than simply swimming out in a big bay in Hawaii or paddling out to a reef in Santa Barbara. Every time I go in the ocean, I fall in love with its vast characteristics that cannot be absorbed through just one experience.
Surfing in my recent years has brought me to have a great passion and appreciation for art. My passion for art grew significantly when I began painting and expressing different artworks of mine onto my surfboards. While surfing I experience the true essence of my being and take full enjoyment in every minute spent in the ocean. Creating and appreciating art allows me to continue the same enjoyment as being in the ocean and expressing myself as I feel inspiration from the most amazing thing in nature: the ocean.
Through studying as an art major, I believe I can discover a career in which I can take complete interest in and truly value what I am doing. Through finding enjoyment and a passion for the profession I am in, I believe I can be very successful at what I do. Pursuing a career in the arts is a dream for me because it would allow me to put extreme passion into what I do and take genuine enjoyment in the arts.

cjohnson6658 said...
on Aug. 28 2012 at 10:26 am
Bro.... you're mad chill haha, I must say