Institution of School Uniforms Persuasive Essay

Putting into place a policy that would require all students to wear school uniforms is monumentally terrible idea on several fronts. To adopt such a mandate would invariably strip all students of a fundamental and extremely important right, place an undue financial burden on low income families, and would, worst of all, have the potential to psychologically damage (possibly to an irreparable extent) many students would inevitably feel that their individuality had been wrongly hindered. A decision such as this one, while ostensibly appearing benign, will ultimately have long-lasting effects that must be duly taken into account before any rash action is taken.

At the current, students are able to use their outward appearance as an outlet to express who they are. Clothes play an enormous role in this in that they, more so that makeup, jewelry, piercings, etc. are able to reflect the inner thoughts, feelings, and attitudes of students. To entirely take away students’ rights to choose what they wear is to remove an avenue through which they can express themselves. Instituting mandatory uniforms not only impinges upon the expressionistic rights of the student bodies, but also removes a similar right from their parents, as shall be detailed.

Requiring students to wear uniforms means that students must own uniforms. In our current economy, with schools’ monetary allocations spread thin, who would one suspect is to bear the financial burden? Why, the parents of the students, of course. In addition to the obvious fact that parents would no longer have the right to elect what articles of clothing they spent their monies on, to families experiencing less-than-ideal fiscal situations, the blow would be two-fold. No school uniform shall be inexpensive, guaranteed, so how, one might ask, can a school system expect parents to fork over the cash needed to fund their entirely unnecessary uniform program?

Perhaps the most overlooked negative ramification of adopting a mandated uniform policy is one that can’t be detected right off; the one that fails to immediately manifest itself. What I'm referring to here, of course, is the psychological impact that a uniform mandate would leave on students. As I outlined earlier, the loss of individualist freedom that every student would suffer in lieu of the institution of such a policy would inevitably be psychologically detrimental to many students. Feeling as if one no longer had anything special about his or herself is a gateway to a severe inferiority complex. Suffering from such a condition would be debilitating to one’s quality of life acutely and would also hold unfavorable implication for the individual in the long run.

When you look at the big picture, is it really worth all of the negative “side effects” to simply require that all students show up to school in the same getup? I certainly don’t think so, and given all of the reasons against such, fail to comprehend how any rational individual could.

teegirl said...
This essay is poorly written. You lose sight of you're point trying to incorporate all your intelligent words. You don't appeal to the other side of the argument and it has a very negative tone.

drewprice11 replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm :

Some good points. But you've done no research. You have not established any Ethos, therefore your audience will not believe you.

JacksonDReynolds replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:27 am :
And that is fine - as I said in reply to an earlier comment: I was going for a crappy, watery essay. Evidently I succeeded.