Gandhi | Teen Ink

Gandhi

October 29, 2010
By devon1234 BRONZE, Kent, Washington
devon1234 BRONZE, Kent, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many Stories are told about Mahatma Gandhi and how he impacted the way people think today. Even today many people respect Gandhi’s decision in a revolution against the British. The people of India will always remember him for all of the great motivational words Gandhi spoke. His positive spirit and bright ideas brought peace to the people of India. Although many people believed that Gandhi made a positive impact, the Sikh did not believe in his cause. Gandhi was an inspiring political and spiritual leader who started a freedom movement through nonviolence when India was under control and limited by the British government.


Gandhi was a religious leader in India when the British where in control of India. No one would listen to a normal person, so Gandhi had to study and prove himself as a worthy leader. He soon became one of the most respected spiritual and political leaders in the mid 1900’s. The people of India called him Gahdbiji Mahatma meaning “great soul.” He developed a method of action based upon the principles of “couarse.” Gandhi’s experience as a political and spiritual leader helped him develop a method of fighting against the British. Unfortunately, his passion in change caused a problem to arise.


The British had great power over the Indians, limiting the rights of all people including religious leaders like Gandhi. Gandhi wanted to solve the main problem; they were killing innocent people for the strict laws created by the British government. When Gandhi attempted to claim his rights the British immediately locked him up. He suffered 24 years working for the British government because of protests against them and their rules for the Indian people. The jails he stayed in where very tight because the British arrested many people who were against the government. There the people who where for Gandhi stayed with him and worked alongside him. Even through all the problems and situations he faced, his hope remained and he never quit or gave up.


After many hardships, Gandhi’s campaigns and his followers were his only hope. He used the principles of “Satyagraha” to teach people about his religion and his beliefs. The “Satyagraha philosophy is the practice of nonviolent resistance which was created by Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.” Hoping that people will hear him, he fasted and proved his cause for the people of India. When the British heard of Gandhi starting more campaigns they arrested him several more times. He spent years and years in jail and believed it was honorable to go to jail for a cause.
Gandhi was an inspiring political and spiritual leader who started a freedom movement through nonviolence when India was under control and limited by the British government. Mahatma Gandhi wanted to change and help the Indian people to be free in their own country and land. If Gandhi never stood up for his country and never told his people to fight for the cause, who knows what India would be like today? Many countries don’t even have their own rights but are controlled by other places or governments. Imagine if other people became bold like Gandhi and fought for their countries rights. Everyone can be the change.