Live, Love, Learn | Teen Ink

Live, Love, Learn

October 10, 2010
By Anonymous

There have been several people who have influenced me greatly throughout my life, but there is one that stands out, and that is my grandmother, whom I call Omi. I am going to tell of a special trip that Omi and I took together, and how we became closer and influenced by both the culture and each other.

Omi has influenced me indirectly, and directly; she has always been here for me and I trust her with so much. Last summer, we went on a European adventure. The deal was that she would pay for essentials and I would plan the trip. Figuring out what something means in a foreign language is tough, but figuring out a foreign metro system? I tackled everything though, and by planning out this magnificent trip, I discovered more about the countries than someone who might have taken tours instead. I was introduced to new cultures outside of the many that exist here in Hawaii, and it really interested me. Omi influenced me to go out into the world and try new things because there are many different opportunities out there, you just need to chase them.

With this experience, Omi and I became so close, and I am so happy to have her as my grandmother. By having many wonderful people in my life, I have been influenced in a lot of different ways; it’s almost crazy, but that’s what makes me unique, and I am so proud to have them in my life.