Take it Beyond Face Value | Teen Ink

Take it Beyond Face Value

September 26, 2010
By XOLyssamarieXD PLATINUM, Bellingham, Massachusetts
XOLyssamarieXD PLATINUM, Bellingham, Massachusetts
27 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be not deceived if I have veiled my look I turn the trouble of my countenance merely upon myself"


The brisk wind strikes me hard as the familiarity of the predicament makes me sick. “Thank god it’s Friday,” I whispered to myself as I kept walking closer to the bus stop. I then road the bus all the way to school, but when I got there…something struck me, a big accordion cork board with a sign that read “Artist of the Month.” I let my curiosity get the best of me, and before I knew it, all my friends were clustered around the unfamiliar board as well. I could see the artist’s name written in cursive right above a large self-portrait of the artist themself. I quickly recognized the picture as a member of my class who I did not particularly like, but nevertheless I still admired her artwork. The visual art displayed on the cork board troubled me a bit; however, because it made me wonder…just because I am not a visual artist does that mean my artwork can’t be displayed. Yes. It did. If someone walked in to the school and was greeted by a bunch of words on a page hanging on a big cork board, it would most definitely not be as striking versus a visual painting to catch the eye. I enjoy writing and playing music, but nobody but my friends know that. Visual art is not my thing, but I hold the ability to paint a picture in my audiences’ head and convey emotion into my music and passion into my writing. For people to appreciate my art they must see beyond what’s on the page, and I think that in itself is more powerful than a spot on the “Artist of the Month” cork board.


The author's comments:
Shot number 2 at a college essay, PLEASE COMMENT/RATE IT