The Joys and Despairs of Playing Video Games | Teen Ink

The Joys and Despairs of Playing Video Games

By Jasema666 BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Jasema666 BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

Do you reach level 80 on World of Warcraft? Or do you beat all of New Super Mario Brother’s worlds in one day? Have you gotten bored of all of your video games that you need to reset all of them? If you said yes to any of these questions, then you might be addicted to video games. This might alarm you if it is true, but please stay calm. I’ll be honest with you. I play video games myself, but I don’t go overboard with it. Video games are fun, but just because you have them doesn’t mean you can neglect them. You still need to exercise.
Playing video games too often can lead to some really bad side effects like increase of weight, hurting in the thumbs and hand joints. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is common in everyday life, for instance if you text 2000 words a day, play video games for a long time, or just repeatedly use your hands. Don’t think that all the things about video games are bad. They help a lot with hand eye coordination, and they build up muscle in your hand. Except if you do it too much, then your fingers could begin to hurt.
You may be thinking that you don’t play video games or you don’t have video games. Well, if you play board games then you are at risk for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, because you are still moving your hands repeatedly. If you do get Carpel Tunnel Syndrome from playing too many video games, you can get a brace, get injections, or just stop doing the thing that aggravated it. “But there is a small chance of that happening, and I type on the computer all day and my fingers are still the same”, says Zachary Bruennig. Well, Zach, there is another thing that comes into play, and that is your age and youth. It doesn’t affect you until you get in your later 20’s.
You might have video games and just play one out of 61 that you have. But if you play that one game all the time, then you might still be in the I have no life and an addiction to Mario Bros category. Addiction doesn’t have to happen with the games with a ton of violence or warfare in them. Addiction can be in any game that you like, and that you are really good at. This could be a sport game, action game, music game or any game in the world. There are a lot of themes like Mario and Luigi, Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, Rock Band, or Guitar Hero. So video games are fun, but overusing them has costs. The meaning of this whole essay was not to point video gamers in the wrong direction, but just to tell teens and young adults to take a break every once in a while to rest your hands and try to not play them for 5 hours straight.