Better Barbie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I don’t have any alumni ties to Brown, though it’s possible I could be the long-lost granddaughter of James S. Miller. Never have I sailed the Pacific Ocean on the back of a humpback whale, nor can I wrap sushi with the skill of former Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto. I haven’t done much research regarding podiatry, and chances are I will never win the Michigan Mega-Millions lottery. I am, however, the proud owner of a Little Mermaid Edition Barbie.

At some point in almost every little girl’s life, she becomes engrossed in the Pepto-Bismol-pink world of Barbies, a place I entered at the age of seven. My sister, Hannah, and I decided to take our collection of 11-inch plastic friends for a dip in the pool one sweltering summer day. Hours of giggling resulted from tossing the Barbies as high as we could into the air and watching them dive gracefully into the waves. Three … two … one, I launched my Little Mermaid doll in the same fashion as Apollo 11. We watched her rocket into the sky. I glanced at my sister, who was scrambling through her scorecards to make sure she had the well-deserved “10” ready. My eyes returned upward, anticipating the gymnastic stunts Barbie would undoubtedly deliver to her enraptured audience. Where was she? The crowd was growing restless. Had she landed on the moon?

Utterly bewildered, we combed through the freshly mown grass and woods, but unfortunately, our search bore no fruit. After a moment of sorrow, our tiny attention spans directed us to a different game, and our minds fluttered away.

Over the years, I encountered many of my own quirky adventures. As a field biologist intern, I camped for 15 days on an uninhabited island, purified my own water, surveyed the endangered Piping Plover, tested the water quality of lakes, and found my way out of 70,000 acres of northern Michigan wilderness. My view of the world broadened through travels and encounters with the Costa Rican, German, French, and Australian cultures. I won varsity letters, had my poetry published, and volunteered at a local hospital, and as I grew older, the mystery of the once-beloved Little Mermaid Edition Barbie faded into a misty memory.

One recent fall day, rainbow-colored leaves swirled through the air and the chilly breeze carried its pleasant scent, an amalgamation of bonfire and pumpkin. Upon the rooftop was not good Saint Nick, but rather my dad, cleaning the leaves off our house. Tied to the branch of an ancient oak tree, the tire swing moved my body in a pendulum motion. My dad approached with something dark in his hands. “Eh … does this belong to you, or Hannah?” he said with a look of perplexity painted on his face. I couldn’t believe my eyes: It was the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie! The poor girl – she was an absolute disaster. I affirmed my ownership of the traveler, and took her battered body in my hands.

Nine years had passed since I had seen the almost-world-renowned Olympic diver. I recalled that summer day and smiled as memories flooded my mind. She looked as though she’d been struck by lightning a few times, weathered heavy monsoons, and held onto the gutter for dear life during tornados. Her mangled arm appeared to have been mistaken for a worm by a ferocious momma bird. Leaves, dirt, and other debris were entwined in her once shiny, cherry locks. Her attire was tattered – she seemed to have fashioned herself a Tarzan-esque ensemble. Her ingenuity was impressive; it reminded me of an experience in which I had to craft socks out of a garbage bag and medical tape, then wear them for three days in pouring rain. Nevertheless, one thing stood out as I ogled my long-lost friend: her face.

She wore a radiant smile, a look of contentment, self-confidence, and accomplishment. With head held high and a positive attitude, she had battled life’s unexpected challenges. She knows now what it means to strive and succeed. I realized the world of pink doesn’t fit someone with so much potential, so much passion for learning, so much heart, independence, and creativity. I looked at her and saw myself reflected in her sapphire eyes.

Like her, my dreams lie far beyond those of a Stepford wife, and with the ability to bend and not break, I am ready to step out of my plastic box society, through the Van Winkle gates, and into a world of endless possibilities. I crave the works of Thoreau and Emerson, not mall directories or grocery lists. I desire adventure and the opportunity to study new cultures. I long to write what I want and voice my opinions with my whole heart behind them. And as the Little Mermaid Edition Barbie sits on my shelf, next to musical and athletic trophies, behind silly pictures of friends, and alongside books by Maya Angelou and Lewis Carroll, she reminds me of myself. For this ambitious girl, pink is not enough; she is ready to dive into Brown.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the May 2008 Teen Ink Nonfiction Contest.

Lanier42This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm:

my comment can be summed up in one word:

awesome!

believer16 said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:14 am:
this was incredible. strongly written and with such passion behind the words. great job on this excellent piece.

jessekuofm said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm:
I actually decided I wanted to go into business, so I accepted a spot in the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan (top 3 business program in the country) and couldn't be happier with my decision! Thanks for your comments and best of luck with your essay writing! :)

cantfindascreename said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:41 pm:
Literally my inspiration! You write with such a strong and passionate voice, and everything just sounds so natural.  Everyday I write hoping to become as fabulous as you. Thank you for this.

seraphinagreene said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 10:49 am:

this is amazing. 

did you end up getting in to Brown? 

IcePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm:
Wow, this was awesome! I'm proud to say that I am also the owner of a Little Mermaid edition Barbie, as well as Belle, Mulan, TinkerBell, Sleeping Beauty, Esmerelda, Snow White, Cinderella, Jasmine, Alice in Wonderland, and Pocahontas.  :)

Sophia-Lynn E. said...
May 25, 2010 at 5:02 pm:
this is one of the best college essays i  have read in a long time. i really like how you didnt keep it to the normal school kinda stuff but branched out to write about your little mermaid baby. congradulations on some astonishing work

someone said...
May 22, 2010 at 7:23 pm:
I loved it. Very well written, keep up the good work!

Michelle S. said...
May 14, 2010 at 8:47 pm:

*jealousy*

I wish I could write like that.  So intense.

kaates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm:
i am currently brainstorming ideas for what to write about for my college application. i want nothing more than to stray away from the dreary "and what i learned from this experience was.." and the absolutely boring "and this is why i want to go to this college". your essay was exactly what i want to achieve in mine: choosing an unlikely topic and transforming it into a true life circumstance, mixing in your passion for poetry and hunger for learning new things. excellent work; you may not have ... (more »)

liamferron said...
May 2, 2010 at 1:53 am:

This is the best college essay I have read, ever. It was so inspirational, and as I am applying to Brown in 2011, much needed. I never knew writing could be so genuine and so articulate at the same time. It puts me to shame but also gives me a lot of hope.

I really hope Brown was all those things to you; Thoreau, Emerson and everything inbetween. Just by this I know you've had a great life. Please continue to do so.

sanjana said...
Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:44 am:

Was this your college application essay or did you write it after you got in?

It's really good. I love the last line where you say that you're ready to dive into Brown.

jOjOsfreakingCIRCUS said...
So inspirational. Congrats on getting into Brown

mycheriseamour said...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 7:35 am:
I loved it. The figurative language was to die for. And, you're right - "for an ambitious girl, pink is NEVER enough."

Scarlett Vivid said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:34 pm:
This is absolutely fantastic- I am writing a speech on Barbie and you have inspired me- the analogy at the end was brilliant- you are a fantastic writer! :)

your momma said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 7:39 pm:
darling, wat does the word alliteration mean???
it's because i forgot
P.S.
dont come late o the house on saturday night!
:)

PlainJane said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 7:40 pm:
Beautiful! You are really a great writer, what with your metaphors, etc. It was great! Good luck with Brown!

jp257 said...
wow. this was very good and inspiring! it actually gave me chills.
You are an amazing writer.
good luck with getting into Brown!

RealLifeNightmare said...
Never have seen such constructive writing in my short career of being a writer. It actually makes me think of my childhood which isn't many years behind me. I loved it.

RealLifeNightmare replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm :
I also forgot to say. I hope you get into Brown and also be accepted as one of the glittery Barbie pink girls of your past. ;)