Inspiration | Teen Ink

Inspiration

Inspiration, that’s what I see my dad as. I have seen him get hurt and not being able to work. What he always tells me is, “Todo lo que hago es para que tu y tu hermana tengan una vida major. I have never heard him say, “I can’t do this.” He always works harder to accomplish something that may seem difficult or even impossible.
His father died when he was only 10 years old. He didn’t have an example to guide him to teach him how to work or how to become a man. He tells me how he really wanted to continue going to school. He wanted to be someone in life. But, he didn’t have enough money to continue going to school, so he dropped out and began to work. He later saw that it was hard to earn enough money in México to support my grandma and aunt. He decided to cross the border and come to America when he was only 17 years old. He tells me all this so I can see how easy it is in this country and to stay in school and graduate. My dad pushes me to not give up and just keep working hard. He wants me to be better than him to finish high school and go to college and graduate.
My dad has taught me when you work hard good things happen. I want to make him proud by actually becoming something in life. I want to show him that all the hard times he went through. I will repay him by finishing school and becoming better than him. I will begin to repay him by being the first one to graduate from high school. Go to college and just become a successful and respectful person. I want my dad to proudly say, “That man is my son.”