My Destiny in Life | Teen Ink

My Destiny in Life

By Christine Lee BRONZE, Bloomsbury, New Jersey
Christine Lee BRONZE, Bloomsbury, New Jersey

After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that everyone in the world has a destiny to fulfill. Some people think they know their destinies, but sometimes it doesn’t work out. For example, in one of my favorite movies, Forrest Gump, Lt. Dan thought he knew his destiny until he lost both his legs. He was extremely upset because he thought that his destiny was to die on the battlefield; instead he was saved by Forrest, but lost his legs. It wasn’t until later in the movie that he finally thanked Forrest for saving his life, realizing perhaps he had another destiny to become a successful businessman, and that he wasn’t meant to die in the field. I have used the movie Forrest Gump and this particular scene in my everyday life to be able to better deal with challenges, try to figure out who I am as a person, and my destiny. This life-long process of self-discovery has helped me to learn more about my strengths and weaknesses, and how they can influence my success.
At the age of five I was diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder known as Asperger Syndrome. It has made it hard for me to do things most people take for granted, notably being able to communicate and adjust to change. Additionally, I want every person and item around me to be in an order, my order. If my order is not maintained, I become annoyed or distressed. In being around people, it is difficult for me to feel empathy, recognize how others are feeling, and understand non-verbal cues. Holding basic conversations is harder for me than for other people.
For most of my young life, I didn’t think I was unusual. I could walk, talk, hear, and speak; I believed I was perfectly fine. But as I grew older and made transitions, I began to notice that I found it hard to relate with other kids in my class, and I was being treated in a way that made me think I was incapable of understanding myself. In middle school I realized that I really wasn’t like the other kids in my class, although I didn’t know for sure what it was that made me unlike the other kids in my class. It seemed my destiny wouldn’t shape up the way I hoped it would.
I first saw Forrest Gump when I was a sophomore in high school. I wasn’t content with the way that things were turning out at school and with me personally. I had just finished a year that left me feeling annoyed, troubled, and sorry for myself. I was determined that the next year would be a better one. As I watched the movie, I was fascinated with the music, culture, and historical events that Forrest encounters. But what really impacted me was the way Forest and Lt. Dan dealt with their destinies.
While watching the scene in Forrest Gump when Lt. Dan and Forrest discuss the idea of destiny, I began to realize maybe I did not yet know my destiny. Maybe I wasn’t meant to be selected for the groups of which I wanted to be a part of. This scene is inspiring to me because it taught me that I should not worry about the times when something I wanted passed me by, it is just a part of life. Even though sometimes situations in life don’t turn out the way we want them to, it doesn’t mean they won’t turn out well, or that the order of the universe is not the order it should be.
Over the years I have also learned that I am more than just someone who has Asperger Syndrome. I even defied many of the odds for someone with this disorder. I am good at communicating through writing. Reading, writing, and spelling have become some of my biggest strengths, and I have become better at adjusting to changes. My interests are broader in range, and I discovered that I enjoy learning about a variety of topics. I acknowledge people’s differences and make efforts to empathize with them, and I’ve been able to make friends with my classmates. As I overcame each of these challenges, my destiny began to take shape.
What I learned is that I can be successful with the strengths I have. I am the one who defines who I will become. My decisions will influence my destiny, but my ultimate destiny is a surprise yet to be unfolded, and I have learned that seizing opportunities to learn more about myself takes me one step closer to knowing just what my destiny may be.

This is my college essay/personal statement that submitted to five colleges as well as a support program.