I believe | Teen Ink

I believe

By a_staun_15 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
a_staun_15 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe to have fun you have to not worry about life. I started to notice something when I was at homecoming in september, That to have fun I had to just not care.

The day of homecoming I was sitting in my dates bedroom while she was getting ready in the bathroom, I was just nervous on what to do, I didn’t wanna  screw anything up. I was so nervous I didn’t know if I was even going to enjoy homecoming, the whole point was to enjoy it, otherwise it wouldn’t be after school. Even though you're supposed to enjoy it I didn’t know how I was going to, which made me even more nervous.

It was now around 6:30 or 7 and we were going to deweys which was where some of the other people that we knew we’re going too. We walked in, it was pretty casual and we were now eating still pretty up tight worried about the night. I started to kind of make jokes to loosen the tension and next thing I know my date and I are cracking up, then I spilled a little bit of Coke on my white shirt. I started to think in my head “Well great you screwed that one up” But then I realized something, who cares? Besides it was going to be dark there anyways, so I just started laughing, and so did my date, and I found that made me happy.

When we were at the dance around 8, we walked in with this big line of people who all had tickets ready to get scanned through the entrance out to the courtyard. As we walked through I started to get really nervous, I was thinking “This is it, we’re finally here” and I kept getting more and more nervous.

We were now out in the courtyard and we were hanging out with some of my dates friends and their dates, I was nervously looking around for some of my friends that I had ditched to go with my date. My friends we’re doing this “Broco” thing where it was gonna be a bunch of dudes who smoked weed before homecoming and showed up fried. I personally didn’t want to be a part of it, but I was still looking around for them to see what they were doing.

As the night went on I stood there kind of bored while we went around to all my dates

Pg. 2

friends and just talked to them, finally I saw my friends, they came up and started talking to me, one thing I noticed is they did not really care, they were just having fun.

All the sudden Lucid Dreams by Juice Wrld came on and everybody was just going crazy, so I decided at that moment to just have fun and let go, I noticed that it felt like the most fun time of my life. Then I remembered back at Dewey's earlier when I noticed the same thing, and I thought to myself “the best way to make great memories is have fun and the best way to have fun is to just let go”.

So whenever I am feeling awkward or i'm around new people and im nervous, I always think back to this moment and how I went from being bored and nervous to having the time of my life. So always remember the best way to have fun is to just let go and not care.

This peice shows a story of when I learned a life lesson.