Good, Better, Best | Teen Ink

Good, Better, Best

December 19, 2018
By hbhinz BRONZE, North Freedom, Wisconsin
hbhinz BRONZE, North Freedom, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


“Good, better, best. Never let it rest. ‘Til your good is better and your better is best.”  My coach would repeat this quote during every practice and game our team had. He made sure to remind us the importance and the meaning it held and eventually became more than just a quote to me. It became my guidance to succeed and achieve my goal of being a varsity soccer player. This is what I had been wishing for since my first soccer practice freshmen year. I had no experience with the sport and did not know where to begin. However, with the help of my coaches and teammates, I was determined to show them what I was capable of. Day by day as practice went by, the three words, good, better, and best were retained in my memory. During all the tough workouts, despairing losses, and controversy between fellow teammates, I never gave up. The hard times made the achievements profusely more worth it. With no experience playing the sport as a freshman, in the first open-gym, I kicked the ball towards the center, almost in the net - as a defender. Over the next year, I practiced skills, studied the game, and attended a week-long camp to advance my knowledge. As a sophomore, I progressively earned more playing time after each game and received a varsity letter. As an upperclassman, I started helping newcomers during open-gyms, guiding them where to position themselves during games, and calming their nerves. I was proud of myself and the experience I had gained. The sport itself has taught me more than how to kick a ball and outrun my defender. It had taught me the importance of pushing past my limits and reaching for my goals. I am very grateful that I was able to learn these life lessons without even realizing they would help me further down the road, not only in soccer but in my education as well. School was not always easy, but the right mindset and proper persistence was all I needed to do my best and reach my accomplishments. My grades were substantially getting higher and I was more motivated to learn new things. As a first-generation college student, I will certainly be faced with new challenges, but it will be a good learning experience that I can take with me throughout components of life. I am very excited to see what my future holds and I have confidence that my good will be better and my better will always be my best.