Top Voted College Articles

Here are the top voted college articles:

voted
#1
How Public Schools Fail This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Random House defines education as “the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.” This seems like a... (more »)
24 comments
voted
#2
College Application Tips This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
With college admissions becoming increasingly competitive and deadlines constantly looming, upperclassmen are always stressing to ensure that their applications are up to par. But fret not! The process can be simplified by following these tips.... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#3
Pursue Your Passions This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Someone once told me, “You're wasting your time on a career that will only lead to starvation.” Ouch, right? But before I go on, let me give you some background on the career in question. I want to be a journalist for a newspaper or... (more »)
34 comments
voted
#4
Is the SAT Useless? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Fall is a busy and stressful time for many high school seniors as they complete their college applications – gathering transcripts, teacher recommendations, and lists of extracurricular activities and awards, and sending them to colleges all... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#5
Parting Ways This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My brother is leaving for college soon, and my mom has been pestering him to clean out his desk and shelves. As we sort through the junk, we find a pen case from fourth grade, a souvenir bottle my dad brought from China when we were in elementary... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#6
Living the Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
While the majority of students are worrying about getting into their dream schools and being able to afford them, others worry about a bigger issue. Students brought to this country illegally, who must leave a blank space on applications that ask... (more »)
64 comments
voted
#7
Test Day Trials This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Nineteen pairs of clammy hands, bathed in anxiety and soaked in sweat, shook as they rested on the wooden desks. Each had one sharpened pencil on it, pointing toward the teacher's desk where the thing we feared lay in a pile. Sunlight gleamed... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
2400 in Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Dear University, The number 3.5 next to my GPA is the price of a small mocha Frappucchino at Starbucks and does not even begin to measure the number of endless nights I have stayed up doing homework. A 1200 or a 2350 on the SAT is not an... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#9
How to Find a College This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Ever wonder how you're going to choose a college? There are so many options! With all of the mail you receive from every college you've ever imagined, how are you supposed to pick? But making this decision isn't as hard as you might think. Here... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#10
The SAT This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It's cold out here. Colder than it looked when I was sitting in the car, concentrating on regulating my breathing. In … hold … out slowly … hold again. I was making believe that this is just another of the countless tests I've taken. It... (more »)
voted
#11
First Day This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Throughout life, sometimes change is the only thing that seems constant. Change has come to my life in many ways, in myself and in my surroundings. At the same time, some things stay the same – and this is when traditions are formed. I am often... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#12
I Want to Be An Auror This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Every child is asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Children often respond with universally popular answers: doctor, lawyer, teacher, maybe even a princess here and there. A very select group of children (myself... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#13
Hitting "Submit" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It was 11:53 on an astoundingly pitch-black night. I had been logged into an application to a community ­college for what felt like hundreds of years, yet was probably only an hour. “Oh,” I... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#14
Acing Your SAT Essay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When students first hear the words “SAT essay” some go into fits; stomach cramps, headaches, awful memories, and nausea may occur. Many fear this crucial part of the Standard Achievement Test, and rightly so. Though this test is supposed to... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#15
Junior Year This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
walk me to the train station again. and tell me softly that we're all going to NYU. and if we're not, just lie again. lie again, in the grass beyond the trees beyond the shadow of the building we call home. of the classes we sleep in... (more »)
voted
#16
Whose expectations? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I've always been a straight-A student, and I'd never questioned the value of that. Now with college apps looming, I'd started to wonder why grades matter so much. Why is getting into a “good” college so important? For the first time I'm... (more »)
4 comments