Best Part of the Holidays | Teen Ink

Best Part of the Holidays

By Gabrielle Smith SILVER, Washington, District Of Columbia
Gabrielle Smith SILVER, Washington, District Of Columbia

The holidays are a coming together of Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year. In one word, a person has three different events. The holidays are a time to sit back, reflect, and relax. A time to sit in front of a fireplace and if a person by any chance does not have a fireplace, they can sit on their couch and talk about their year. When the holidays approach, you know the year is about to come to an end. Family is a big component for the holidays because everyone needs someone, whether a person’s family is a dog, or a robot. Being surrounded by people who genuinely show love is one of the best feelings during this time.

Traditionally, Thanksgiving is about food, but to me it is about family time. With feelings of love, laughter, smiles, and the spirit of giving, Thanksgiving is a day to be thankful, a holiday for spending time with family at the dinner table. While taking a bite of each dish at the dinner is fun and important, sitting back and feeling thankful for the essence of life is more important.

Of all the holidays, Christmas seems to be most focused on giving and receiving. The thoughts of how a person picks out a gift counts. It is through gifts that  people know how valuable they are to others. Also, spending time with family is important. One of the many things about Christmas that I like is that a person who has been distant in my life, could give me a gift.

Around the end of the year comes the New Year, the time for people to reflect on what they have experienced and to make endless resolutions that will probably be broken by the middle of the year. They are not aware of this yet, because their life has not caught up to their broken resolutions. When the New Year comes  along, I reflect on the mistakes I’ve made, how much I have improved as a person, and look forward to continuously pursuing my dreams.

Without the holidays, you would not have a time for the appreciation of things because around this time it is more forced. No one wants to be bitter during the holidays, so they assimilate with the people who actually appreciate this time. Through all of the best moments, family and spending the holidays with the people you love the most are the best reasons.