Priorities This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

All too often teenagers lose sight of what’s most important in high school. With so much going on, it is easy to get distracted. You must set goals and keep clear priorities. Most importantly, high school relationships should not interfere with ­decisions about your future.

Between friendships and relationships, you may be devoting your time and effort to other people when you should be ­focusing on your future. I don’t mean you shouldn’t involve others in your life – that is a vital part of being a teenager and enjoying high school. However, your friends and significant other should respect your priorities. Balancing the different parts of your life can be challenging, but it is absolutely vital to ensure that you ­accomplish your goals.

I am troubled when I hear that college-bound students change their plans because of another person. Maybe a friend wants you to go with her to be around someone she knows. What if the university she has chosen doesn’t offer courses you are interested in? Is it fair for a friend to ask you to change your entire future? Or maybe you are worried that your relationship with your boyfriend or girlfriend won’t survive long distance. Should you go with him or her to a place that you find uncomfortable? Keep your priorities in mind and remember that those you care for should also care about your plans.

No matter what path you and those you are close to choose, going off to college doesn’t have to be good-bye. Those who really care about you will keep in touch.

ShariGibson30 said...
I strictly recommend not to hold off until you get enough money to buy goods! You should just take the credit loans or commercial loan and feel free

Bookworm1998 said...
im not going to university until 5 years from now, but this is still good for me to read because i know i have to get my priorites straightend - one of my new year's resolutions. congrats on getting this published - it really deserves to be read