Human Interest | Teen Ink

Human Interest

By kieranh SILVER, Levittown, Pennsylvania
kieranh SILVER, Levittown, Pennsylvania

Jack Sandt lives as an ordinary man in a small town called Levittown. But his story is extraordinary. Swimming in shark-infested waters waiting for help is hard but he did it.

Jack was in the navy during World War 2. While on his ship with hundreds of other people his ship exploded. The ship was docked in the Atlantic Ocean and was blown up. It was not by anybody, it was because of an exploded ammunition bin. It was an Atlantic Ocean tragedy. Jack said “I was frightened but had to believe in myself.” John Hastings was also in the Navy but was not a part of that. “I feel like something like that should never have happened with all of the technology we had,” Hastings said.

Jack and John have been friends and neighbors for years. “We waited for days in shark-infested waters waiting for help,” Sandt said. “We had no food and no water, it was so scary,” Jack said. “My bestfriend was struggling but I was so happy when I found out that he got back safe,” John Hastings said.

Jack Sandt and John Hastings live right across the street from each other. They both said that they talk about the past, present and future of the United States Naval Academy. “We are the best of friends and other then talking about the Naval Academy, we also talk about our friendship and random things that friends talk about,” John Hastings said.

The United States Naval Academy is a great place for people to stand up and fight for their country.