AP Classes: Worth It? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You see them in the halls, in a daze, stumbling toward their classes. Their faces are ashen with fatigue; their spines are bent under the weight of a dozen textbooks. They are the ones struggling valiantly to stifle a yawn during class, the ones frantically rereading their notes before an exam on the nature of light photons during photosynthesis.

They are the few, the chosen. They are the AP students.

The truth is, honors students are no longer a select few. Over half of university-bound students take AP classes, and of these, most take at least two. The AP system drills into our brains that our college success hinges on taking as many advanced courses as possible, but is it really worth it? “On average, I spend three to four hours each day on homework,” says one senior, who is taking five AP classes. “With the number I’m taking, I really doubt that I will be confident going into each test.”

With increasing pressure to enroll in AP courses, not only for college credit but also for the weighted GPA, it is no wonder that students often find their grades suffering and their stress levels soaring. In reality, AP courses have become mere trophies, adding little more than volume and sparkle to a competitive college application.

One of the major flaws in the AP system is that every class is geared toward a standardized test. The result is that comprehensive learning is sacrificed for the sake of test preparation, with teachers spending the most time on topics likely to appear on the AP exam.

“It feels like sometimes we rush through material or ignore parts of the subject,” says one senior. “It would be nice to sit back and learn for the sake of learning, not just to get a five on the test in May.”

And just because a student receives a high grade on the AP test does not mean he or she will receive college credit. Many universities now don’t consider an AP class in high school to be synonymous with an actual undergraduate college-level class, which is usually a three-hour, lecture-based course with varying degrees of homework.

According to another AP student, “the sheer volume of learning” is what makes the workload so challenging. It is simply not feasible to absorb an entire college class in less than an hour a day, with all the other classes and responsibilities.

For those who wish to delve further into a particular subject, college-level classes may be a fantastic idea. But the current AP course system is flawed and too test-intensive to provide students with an optimum learning environment. Perhaps more high schools should consider offering their students the opportunity to take actual college courses through a local university.

Or maybe we should all just go to college.

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm:
I'm in honors english and history, but regular math and science. i thought that was pretty good until i got to high school and saw how competitive my school is. if youre not in AP, youre almost looked down upon. thanks for letting me know im not alone in seeing how ridiculous this is

SteFanii said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm:
I highly agree with this article I took APUSH (AP United States History) and just passed i'm for the most part a good student i study hard and do my best. but they are very fast paced

WerewolfWriting said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm:

Very decisive! I like how you focus on the topic perfectly, and giving examples and other opinions by high school seniors. This is a great article  of writing, and I think it would be a great read in a newspaper or TV piece!

cactusflower said...

I agree the AP system is flawed. I'm fortunate to have teachers that absolutely hate the test and teach the AP class the way they want to [which means pretty much neglecting the fact that there is a test for 4/5 weekdays]

I'm a junior and I take 5 AP classes and I think they matter as the "strength of curriculum" that universities look for.

kathrine225 said...
I agree with you completely. But the problem is, in order to get into most universities you have to take AP classes. That's the only thing I have a problem with- they are more than a cherry on top. Universities really do pay attention to the number of AP classes you took. Even if it is a higher workload and stress level, it's not for nothing.

D.Liu said...
Dec. 2, 2010 at 9:10 am:
This is a really well-written essay. I completely agree that thr AP course system is flawed. I find myself stuck in a similar position when I am thinking about the positive and negative effects of AP classes. I would feel so much less stressed if AP classes would require you to only study for the test in May and not worry about finals and other homework. If this society was not tso based on a GPA scale, I believe kids would be much more susceptible to learning and lead a much more... (more »)

R.A.Masena said...
i agree. im a sophomore and i was in 3 AP classes but i had to drop out of one of them because the work load was too much and it was causing me to do badly in my other classes. its REALLY stressful and all i do is study and prepare for the test in may. not fun. being in a lot of AP classes but doing badly really isn't worth it!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great Job! This is well-written! I can't really say that I agree or disagree because I am not taking AP classes right now as a freshman. If the AP classes are that bad then just think how horrible it must be for the few that take I.B. classes.

Ashlee S. said...
Excellent article! But I can't believe that one senior only has 3 hours. I have 3 hours and I'm a junior and only in 2 AP classes. While I love taking AP because I love going more indepth than regular classes and I love both my AP teachers, I do sometimes feel that it's more testprep than actual learning, but that's every class. It's just even moreso with AP.

beautifuldisaster18 said...

I really enjoy this piece!

Although, I must say, pretty much any class you take in high school, AP or not, is going to be geared toward teaching for the standardized test. At least in my state it is. I'm lucky though to have teachers who would rather teach what they want rather than what the test wants. :) They still teach to the test, but only when it's closer to the test in May. Understand? I can be confusing. :/

I love the work involved with advanced classes. I know, that's w... (more »)

K9_Typical_Islander said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 5:10 am:
Quite an eye-openning piece here.

dragon replied...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm :
i would have to agree with you

8th Orion said...
May 18, 2010 at 11:44 am:
I feel that being in an AP class is actually more fun than being in a regents or honors class. if you find something to easy its nice to be challenged expecially if you are bored when its to easy. I went from a regents class to an AP class in one year and loved the AP course so much better because you had to be more insightful in everything you did.

WRIT3R4LIF3 said...

I'm in AP Math with my best friend. My friend flys through the tests and aces everything. I, however, am stuck with my D average. My mom can no longer help me with AP math, so I'm stuck with what I know. So I see your point. If I wanted to ace everything, I would have to spend at least three hours on my 12 problem average homework. I find half of it irrelvent, just as you said. Sorry for the long comment, but I agree with you

WRIT3R4LIF3

gem1048 said...
I beg to deviate from the bashing of AP classes mentioned in the article. I'm in an AP class, and I find it stimulating and thought-provoking. It's terrific preparation for college. (Maybe I'm just saying that because I earn nothing but As in that class) I plan on taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry later because I'm an aspiring physician. AP classes do possess their own benefits; I'll graduate from college earlier, thereby saving my own money. I'm cognizant of the f... (more »)

Aussie312 said...
AP classes, depending on one's ambitions are actually beneficial, though it does require you to juggle your time...

christine said...
Aug. 25, 2008 at 3:56 am:
You do have some good points there, and I find myself agreeing with many. However, I think that work-intensive classes are preparing us for work-intensive lives, successful lives. This doesn't mean a total abolishment of free time.

And as a sophomore, I took an evening college class at my community college, so I know what it's like. If you start offering the students chances to take college classes, all of the ap kids will move to those. What makes you think that the ap kids won'... (more »)

dragon replied...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
interesting