Do Minorities Deserve College More Than The Rest? This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Poor and starving kids in East St. Louis walk through halls laden with sewage. They don’t even have the chance to go to school half the time because the sewage is toxic and could harm them. More than half of the senior girls are pregnant and don’t care about life anymore. This is something that every kid that is working hard to get into a good college is thinking about. They are wondering if they won’t get into the college of their choice because of affirmative action. Affirmative action gives you extra brownie points on your resume, which makes you more likely to get in. Many teenagers that have great grades and test scores are not getting accepted because they are not part of a minority. The arising question is affirmative action the right thing to do or is it just making racism worse? Or is it fair that someone that is poor and came from a bad school should get extra points, because they didn’t get as good of an education as someone who went to a private school? What has America come to, accepting minorities just to have diversity in their school, even if it is sacrificing integrity and school pride.

Working hard your whole life and having a resume as long as the Chicago Towers is high and still getting rejected by a college. That’s what affirmative action is, it allows minorities extra points on their resume just because they are a minority. I don’t about you but I don’t think that is even close to being right. Someone could work their whole life to get into a good college and another person could coast their whole life and get in just because they are a minority. You should have to meet standards because it is not fair that this should ever happen to any hard working American. We should make sure that person that gets in on extra points is actually tries and doesn’t waist it, and if he waist it then they should kick him out and accept the hard worker. Sounds like something Obama would support.

True the people in poverty stricken areas don’t have the best education, but they could make the most of it and try harder. By trying harder and showing the colleges that you try hard even though you don’t go to the best school will set you apart from the rest of the applicants. I think they should look longer and harder at your resume if you come from a poverty stricken area, but not give you bonus points and especially not a lot. As long as you have good grades and try hard then they aren’t going to be beat out by some lazy rich kid.

Racism has been around for hundreds of years and will probably continue for a while. Race should have nothing to do with getting into college, it should be based on how you perform. So many people have tried to create diversity in the colleges, but is that really better? Do we want to accept someone that might not be as good as another person but is a minority? This could lower their schools average test score if you do this too much, but if you control it then it could give benefits. If you control it then you will have diversity and keep the high test averages. Besides when you use affirmative action it is just flipping the tables on racism. You just started to accept a lot of minorities but now you left out the middle class white person and that’s not fair. So you have to find that perfect median or else it doesn’t work.

Lowering test scores to create diversity in colleges, and sacrificing school pride to make sure the diversities get an equal shot at getting in. If you are trying to get into Harvard and get rejected because they accepted someone that isn’t as smart as you, but they are a minority that doesn’t seem fair. It’s not fair that the smarter person wasn’t accepted because he isn’t a minority. This is why many people don’t like affirmative action, but I think there can be a balance between minorities and none minorities. That is what affirmative action should try to do! It should create that balance so that smart people get a chance and the minorities that try hard and work hard get a chance.

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:43 am:
I think a bunch of people here are speaking from the heart instead of looking at this from a historical and fact-based standpoint. I also think it's offensive to say that racial minorities don't work as hard as you, or that they "coast" through high school. That's not true, and honestly, that's downright offensive.

Look, guys, affirmative action exists to make things equal for minorities. It's doesn't give them an advantage over you. It just makes t... (more »)

jeseer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:30 am :
Affirmitive action, if anything, is discrimination. Race should never be considered as a factor in employmen or admission. If minorities (as children and teens) don't have access for transportation to extra-curricular activiti\es and similar opportunities,  the government should focus more on these issues (activies that don't require merit, qualifieduccatiion, ect.) THAT is equality. It is simply unfair to throw in a race factor into something based on merit, work ethic, or competen... (more »)

Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:44 am :
Affirmitive action does not equal equality. Equal opportunities to parake in sports, exta-curricular activities, work, etc. are, in fact, prooviding equality. These opportunities would be transportation and waiving on fees (which, at least in Tennessee, fees are waived). Government doesn't have to violate the Fourteenth Amendmant in order to creat equality, which affrmative action does. King Jr. never proposed such advantages,  just equality.

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm :
Speaking like a true privileged kid ...

Silogram This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:03 pm :
Amelia, you are exactly right! 

Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm :
Jeseer, you are right in saying that equality would be enhanced by giving more extracurricular opportunities to minorities, but that does not change the fact that the family of a minority HAS been discriminated against in the past few generations, resulting likely in lower income, lower confidence due to racism, etc...

primrose19 said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm:

Although I agree with you that affirmative action is ridiculous, this article needs some serious work. The grammar mistakes detract from your main point. Also, try adding in some statistics and quotations to back up your statements. 

I do agree with you, though. Accepting an applicant because they are black or hispanic or asian is racist. Racism is not always against the minority. Giving someone an opportunity because they are a minority is just as unfair as taking one away.

Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:46 am :
Agreed. You can't fight racism with racism: it would be a contradiction.

JaliyaBelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm:
I find this article very interesting! my parents warn me that because i'm chinese, i have to work harder to get into an ivy league university, since there are so many qualified asian students (both in america and outside of america) competing for a spot in these universities. even though you might consider asians a minority race, they actually arent' in the student population of many top schools. but the good news is that there are universities (like yale) that say they don't cons... (more »)

Caleb.Andrews said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm:
My thoughts exactly, and extremely well-written! Five stars for sure!

Be-Fearless said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm:

I think you are making a good argument here. Certainly not all of those in minority groups are accepted into schools just because of their race, but a good many are, and I believe that is really unfair. I am going through similar situations at my high school.

It hurts when all that determines your acceptance into school, is that little bubble you shade in with your pencil on the application paper that says: RACE. That's what education comes down to nowadays. It's really sad, and I... (more »)

Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:00 am :
How do you know that's why you were rejected? It's just an assumption because facing the fact that it wasn't someone else's fault is painful. It's about whether or not you're a good fit for that school, not about what your race is.

KatieClaire replied...
Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm :
I'm sorry if I was unclear. I myself haven't faced problems like this yet, but a few of my senior friends have. I've listened to their stories, but haven't jumped to any conclusions in regards to why they didn't get into the schools they applied to. I just couldn't help but wondering  if this topic might be the case, because some people ( and some schools) are unfair, and there are certain amounts of evidence to prove that. However, you make a fantastic point when sa... (more »)

Golfish said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:16 pm:
I lived in a place where no one went to college and we where all poor white. Let us base acceptance on merit and let aid be based on finacial situation(which would benefit minorities anyways)

lovetildeath said...
May 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm:
Good arguement.I can see what you are trying to say.There aare all types of poverty-stricken kids,black,white,latino.I think you should have to work hard to get into college not have it handed to you.Being a Black American myself,I know many black Americans struggle with poverty and circumstances.I think you are right though .This is well written and keep writing.

Curious said...
May 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm:
I think that this article is very one-sided. I'm not saying I entirely agree with the policy but try and see it this way. You are a minority and all around you, you get conscious and subconcious social messages telling you how you are supposed to be. The main one is  that minorities arn't as intelligent, so even if a minority is intelligent it's so much harder for them to overcome stereotypes telling them that college isn't for them and they're not worth it. For example, I am biracial and a... (more »)

bennyB said...
May 11, 2012 at 9:11 am:
I see this post kind of like an escusse. you are right in the part that minorities are getting alot of points because of affirmative action, but that does not mean that non-minority students can get in to college. In fact there are more non-minority colege students than minority ones. so there is no excuse when it comes to college.

Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:01 am :
Amen. Couldn't agree more.

AddictedToWriting said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:58 am:

I feel you make some decent points, but as many people have already said, your argument is very one-sided; you don't consider any arguments the other side may produce, and you didn't qualify (words like "most" or "many" or "some")any of the broad statements you made, nor did you back any of them up with hard facts.  This, combined with your grammer issues that I'll talk about in a minute, completely kills any credibility you have as an author, and for the most part, any reader who doesn'... (more »)

Writer_Jordan said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm:
I see where you are going, but your argument is really double-sided. There are not only some poverty-stricken people, but a lot! It just so happens that poverty is  more associated with certain communities, such as African American ones. African Americans aren't the only ones--Latinos get benefits too. I say that college help should only be offered for people who are having financial difficulty. Being half black and half white, I feel that benefits should be off... (more »)