What is Reality? | Teen Ink

What is Reality?

December 17, 2012
By starwriter GOLD, Durango, Colorado
starwriter GOLD, Durango, Colorado
17 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.
-J. K. Rowling


How do I know somethings real? How do I know that something exists isn't an illusion or a dream? These two questions unlock a great mystery what is real, and what is merely a dream.A dream is something in your imagination created when your brain uses what it’s thinking about to create a fantasy or world like Wonderland. So if a dream is something all in your head then is reality everything else? But what about history, how can it be real after all it’s not happening right now does that make it all a dream? So in that case is the future a dream after all it certainly isn’t real since it hasn’t happened yet, and could still change? Another question is what is better dreams, or reality? This question reminds me a lot of Alice in Wonderland because in Lewis Carrol's time everyone would have answered reality because after it was real so that made it better in their minds. But in my opinion they are both equal, for you need a to understand reality and appreciate it to live happily,but it is also good to have dreams and imagination in your life so you can not always be so focused on hardships, and challenges, but dream for enjoyment and sometimes a solution to a problem. Now moving on to another thought,we’ve discussed why we think other people and things are real or a dream but the bigger question is how do you know your real? A famous quote is ““The best thing about dreams is that fleeting moment, when you are between asleep and awake, when you don't know the difference between reality and fantasy, when for just that one moment you feel with your entire soul that the dream is reality, and it really happened.” This is one of many options to this question,but is it true that you can’t think in dreams, after all in Alice in Wonderland there is a passage that reminds me of this quite a bit. 'He's dreaming now,' said Tweedledee: 'and what do you think he's dreaming about?'

Alice said 'Nobody can guess that.'
'Why, about YOU!' Tweedledee exclaimed, clapping his hands triumphantly. 'And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?'
'Where I am now, of course,' said Alice.
'Not you!' Tweedledee retorted contemptuously. 'You'd be nowhere. Why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream!'
'If that there King was to wake,' added Tweedledum, 'you'd go out--bang!--just like a candle!'
'I shouldn't!' Alice exclaimed indignantly. 'Besides, if I'M only a sort of thing in his dream, what are YOU, I should like to know?'
'Ditto' said Tweedledum.

In this conversation Tweedledum and Tweedledee say that they think that Alice is just in the Kings dream and would disappear if he woke up. Do you think that what they say is true,that we are in others peoples dreams, we have adventures in Wonderlands of our own,do we visit other worlds without knowing it.If that’s true then do you think that our dreams are really also other peoples dreams, that maybe we talk to them and play,but then forget all about it when we wake up? So do you think that your real or not thats a question for yourself to figure out but if not then is anybody else real is their even such thing as reality?A scary part of this idea is if reality isn’t real that someone gave us the idea it is,and is someone controlling our perspective of the world everything we think we know and understand is actually all an illusion a dream created by some other force. So in that case is reality all a dream,are they really the same thing or does reality even exist? Another thing my friend Catie said is “Dreams are a different way of living,in reality everything is always at the present where as in dreams you can also be in the future, or past.Maybe dreams are just a different way of living from reality.”I think this is interesting because once again it suggests that it’s like another life we have that we don’t realize we live in.Maybe when we fall asleep we do all sorts of things in our dreams even try to figure out the difference between dreams and reality.

Dreams,and Reality are two words that are completely different and the similar at the same time, they are something that has many mysteries to uncover but I hope that I’ve awakened some curiosity about them and that you enjoyed my thoughts,after all this wasn’t a dream!