New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Freelance: A New Begining

Author's note: Live your live the way you want to and don’t let anybody tell you what to do. Because if you...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Live your live the way you want to and don’t let anybody tell you what to do. Because if you can find something you love, then your life will be full of happiness.

I dedicate this story to all those who have lost the battle with depression.

A special thanks to TWLOHA. For getting me out of the dark before I drowned in it. For giving me something to believe in and for steering me in the direction of writing in the first place.

To my best mate for being the inspiration for Wendy.

And to Short Stack, for unknowingly giving me the ideas for the main characters Adrian (Andy), Shaun (Shane) and Bradie (Ben)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Meeting Them

No, it isn’t Adrian. I will just turn around get my bag and the hot guitarist will be gone, it is really just that simple. So I turn around lean into the car and grab my bag, and a beautiful bag at that. Just as I went to turn around I remembered Wendy saying to make myself look sexy, so I sit down in the car and rearrange my dull red uniform into something more likeable.
There, nicely set in place. Okay, I am so ready to go talk to George about my audition that it’s not funny. Why was I so serious all of a sudden, and why on earth am I STILL SEEING HIM? I guess the boys staying are Freelance, that may explain why George didn’t tell when the audition was.
“Hey. You must be the girl who is trying out to be our chick singer, I have to tell you now that you had better be willing to dump all your important school education...”
“STOP!” He did, and he did it very quickly. “I will not be dumping my so called ‘Important school education’ because it’s all a load of s*** to me. I have been looking for a way to get out of that hell hole for two years straight, don’t you even dare getting me started on that place. Got it? Don’t answer that. Look, if I somehow manage to get this, I can assure you that year twelve will not be an issue.”
“Alright, fair enough, calm it down girl. Come on inside, and I’ll show you around the house.” I couldn’t help but smile at him when he said that. “What’s so funny?”
“Uh, the fact that you want to show me around a house that belongs to my best friends father, a house that I know just as well as my own. I mean, I even a copy of the spare key. But hey who cares, I’ll sing for you guys soon, I just have to get changed out of these crap clothes.” And just like I would with any other guy, I flashed my best smile and walked around him to the house. His eye’s on me the entire time.
I know it was probably wrong of me to do that to him, but if I am going to sing on stage with these people I swear I will make the most of it. Besides, what harm ever came of flirting with a hot guy who is clearly not going to be single forever? Okay probably a lot, but I’m up for the challenge.
I went straight into Wendy’s room to find the appropriate outfit for an audition with Freelance, the only problem is that I don’t know what a person would wear to something like this. Thankfully my secret distress was cured as soon as Wend walked into the room, as happy as usual.
“Hey girl, you seem un-naturally happy, even for you. Did you get the design deal?” If it’s even possible, she got even happier almost ecstatic, when I asked her about her future career path. She’s been trying so hard these last few years to get this deal, and she would just die if she didn’t get this position.
“YES! I get to design album covers for signed bands. Oh but let’s not forget abut you, little Miss Freelance girl. Look at you, do you want Wendy to find you something to wear for the three hotties out in the other room?” I Didn’t want to dignify that with an answer, but I need her to do exactly that. I nodded. “Really? Okay then, lets do this thing.”
After about half an hour of choosing clothes, and an hour of make up, I was ready to go out and sing in front of those hot boys who were less than ten hundred meters away from were I sit. I walked out to the living room in my new ‘hot chick meets rock chick’ look.
I started walking through the familiar hallway that connects the bedrooms to the lounge and dinning area. All three of the boys were setting up for my audition, and I have to admit it almost looks like it was a real performance, like with an audience and all that cool stuff.
“Ok darling, this is your time to shine. If you live up what George says your like, then you will have no problems getting the position in our lovely band.” Adrian seems to be a little bit of a lazy person to me, but who am I to judge? He probably works very hard to get his guitar ready for use, and I wouldn’t know if playing a guitar is hard because I’m so not smart enough for that kind of thing.
“What Adrian was supposed to tell you is that you will have to sing one of our songs, and a song of your choice. The song that you choose will be limited to ones that we can play, unless you don’t need the music to back you up. Are you up for that, or should we just find someone else who can?” Well I guess it’s nice that Shane gets straight to the point. Strictly no playing around when he’s in charge.
“Dude, calm down. It’s not like I am trying to be disruptive or anything, and I was just making sure that... um... Jessica didn’t feel intimidated by us. Good job at screwing that up though, couldn’t have done it better myself.” At that moment, I realised that I hadn’t actually told them my name. After my little flirt with Adrian I hadn’t said anything to any of the boys, how strange, I was never like that with the boys at school. My trail of thoughts were cut short before I could find out why I was acting so strange, by a half annoyed half amused cough for attention.
“Hello? Only other band member here. We can have this fight, after we find out if we have our female vocalist. Okay?” Clearly, that was Ben. Wendy has a huge crush on him, but I can’t really say the same for myself. I do however love the way that he was using his drum sticks to threaten the other two maniacs. “Or are you two trying to show of in front of her?”
Adrian and Shane looked from me to Ben to each other and back again for about ten seconds. Just when I was about to go over to the couch and rest while they figured out what just happened, they moved over to there places on the ‘Stage’. The song that the boy’s chose for me to sing was one of there first hits, ‘Lay Me Down’. Lucky for me that it was one of my favourites before ‘Drowning Sorrows’ and ‘Free Hearts’(Also by them).
As we finished, I didn’t dare look at them until I was spoken to because if I did, I was positive I would never be able to start, let alone finish the second song. As I waited for the boys to finish talking about if I was worthy of the second song, I self assessed my performance. I know for sure I hit a few of the notes at the wrong pitch, and that I took way to many breaths, but apart from that I think I did pretty well. However what I think doesn’t matter right now, it’s what the three boys behind me think that matters.
“I don’t know about what they think, but I would pay to come see you sing like that any day of the week. Plus, I might have to go to all your future gig’s if you’re going to sing like that for me. You would sing like that at all the shows wouldn’t you?” I couldn’t help but laugh at Wend’s mum Fiona.
Fiona is always full of jokes that relate to the real world, because that’s what she does. She’s a stand-up comedian, so is always quick to come back at your serious question with a joke. It’s not really that hard to explain what Fiona looks like, because she looks like Wendy... well Wendy looks like her really but you know what I mean. They’re practically twins, but Fiona’s hair doesn’t frizz, and she doesn’t have the moon tattoo on her head.
“Thanks Fiona, I really hope I get to be in the band. It would be so cool to sing in front of people who actually care that I am singing for them, not that you aren’t a good audience it’s just that I really want to, um, well you know what I mean right?” Fiona (being the lovely woman she is) nodded and smiled. “Yer, I thought you would. What would you want to pay for though? I mean I can sing for you guys any time I am over here, not to mention you wouldn’t have to pay.
“Jessica? The boys and I have been talking, and we don’t need you to sing a second song. We all agreed that you are perfect for this, however if you want to sing the second song you can. Go right ahead and ask if you do.” WHAT?
“I, uh, I, well I, thankyou.” That is really embarrassing, I had a whole speech worked out and all I could manage was some stuttering and a thankyou? “What’s funny is that I had this whole speech thing planned out, and you know what? Now I can’t remember any of it for the life of me. That is probably a good thing though because I think it may have embarrassed me.”
I looked around at the guys, and all I wanted to do was run up to each one of them and give them a hug but that can wait until I know them a little better. Right now I still kind of see them as the group that made me want to talk to George about getting into the music industry.
“Hey could I talk to you alone for a second Jess? I mean not if you want to celebrate with your friends and all but, I would really appreciate it if you would.” I wouldn’t have been worried about Adrian asking me that, if it wasn’t for the fact that Ben and Shane were looking at Adrian with a worried look on there faces.
“Okay. I really can’t celebrate until my mum comes tomorrow anyway, and I would like to get to know my... um, band mates.” I really don’t know what was getting into me but I gave him my best ‘you know that’s not why you want to talk to me’ wink, and turned to the doors direction and walked out them. Adrian was right behind me the whole time, I could literally feel his breath on my neck. It felt like he was making sure that I went outside with him.
It was still hot outside, but not as hot as it had been only a few hours earlier, and it was almost dark. Damn it all when there are no daylight savings to let you escape to night a little longer. As I stoped to turn around and face Adrian, he grabbed my arms and spun me around so that I faced him. Oh good god I didn’t want him to let go of my arm, as tightly as he was holding it, he somehow managed to be gentle at the same time.
“Look. I’m going to tell you here and now that I do stupid things some times, and I have no idea how stupid this next thing is... but I have to try it. Shane hates the idea, and Ben’s not to far behind him, and to be honest with you I’m not so sure it’s a good idea myself. You have to promise that you will not take this out on them if you don’t like what I ask you, okay?” Although it was getting dark I could still see the uncertainty in his ice blue eyes. The panic was clear in his features, and yet all I could think about was how he was still holding my arm.
He must have realised that I wasn’t talking because of his hold on my arm, he just read the reason wrong because he let go and took a few hurried steps back. The panic in his eyes spreading to every inch of his posture.
“I am so sorry if I am scaring you I just really hoped you would hear me out, I guess I knew along what your reaction would be but I hoped it...” I stepped toward him and put my hand up to his lips, I just didn’t want him to be so panicked about what he had said. I had a funny feeling in the bottom of my stomach kind of like butterflies only different, and then I realised that I wasn’t feeling like this because I was guilty, and how I had felt before in the lounge... it was because I LOVED him.
“Would you calm down little bit please. I think I may know what you’re trying to get at but if you want to ask me something, then ask. Skip the speech, and ask me.” I couldn’t have made my voice sound more inviting if I tried, so lets hope that he opens up a little bit.
“Okay, I wanted to ask you if, if you would go out with me. I know it’s a risk because we will be in the band together but I...” That was all I needed to hear from him, I was already head over heels so why not go the full way and accept? I was amazed at myself because for the third time today I was going to flirt with this boy, and I was so going on this date with him.

“Alright then, because you pass all my tests for date material, I will go out with you. Oh yer and I kind of feel that way about you too.” I went to pull my usual flick of my hair and walk of, but as I tried he grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him. We were just so darn close that if I moved any closer we would be kissing.
In fact, Adrian seemed to be in the middle of choosing if he should or not. Now I am a very patient person, but with his lips this close I was so not in the mood to wait for him to choose between the two. So I reached my hands up and rested them on his shoulders and that being all the encouragement he needed, he leaned that small distance between us and gently pressed his lips to mine. After a few short moments he moved his head back to were it had been and stepped back taking my hand, we walked back to the front door hand in hand.
“Maybe we shouldn’t say that we kissed out there, I don’t mean that I am hiding it but that would make us both look kind of bad don’t you think?” He did have a good point there, I was having a hard enough job trying to make my own mother believe that I haven’t slept with anyone before. This wouldn’t help me make a good impression on her much.
“Okay, I guess that sounds fair enough.” I did hate the part where he let go of my hand, but again it was for the best. “Hey, if the gear is still set up I want to sing one more song okay? It’s one of yours, so I am pretty sure you will know how to play it.” WHAT? I have every right to show of in front of my new boyfriend.
We walked into the lounge to find about twenty people sitting around waiting for us, and it turned out that I would have been doing another song had I wanted to or not because they were all here for one song. ‘Crimson will fall’. So when Adrian got his guitar out, I went and stood in front of my microphone. I will never get used to that, ‘My microphone’.
Shane and I sang in perfect time to the music, or rather I sang in perfect time with him for the entire song. When we finally got to the end of the song, all four of us were hot and sweaty. But the people watching us (Sitting there on the floor all comfortable) didn’t feel the same way. ‘One more song, one more song’ they chanted to us, over and over again.
“Okay, okay. One more but then we are packing up and getting some rest, otherwise we are going to have to charge you for the songs.” It’s all good for me, this is all more training in my eyes. Then he turned to us. “I think that we should sing them a new song don’t you think guys? I do, how about ‘Freewill dieing’?” Well that wasn’t exactly a new one, but I guess that Adrian doesn’t know how well I know there music. “Jessica, sing along if you know the words. LETS GO!”
So away we went again, however this time it was a little different. Shane and I did a few dance moves wile we were singing, like not the waltz, tango or anything crap and ancient like that, but hip hop and no name dance kind of things.
I was truly buggered by the time we finished singing ‘Freewill dieing’ I for one could use a sleep. I have an inkling of a feeling that, that may be because I got up at four o’clock this morning to write a stupid report on the morning music news. Just to find that my cheap ass crap TV, decided to play funny buggers with me, IT STOPED WORKING ON ME. The one day I actually did my homework for my music teacher, Mrs. Petra.
Thank lord that those mad ass fans got up and went home, so we got to pack up the gear. Don’t get me started on how much I hate work, but if I am going to be in this band I think it only fair that I do my fair share of the packing and loading of the instruments. I worked really well with boys, for some strange reason, so we were packed and ready to leave in any kind of emergency.

“Jess you look really tired, do you want to get some sleep? because If you do we will try to keep it down.” I saw the hummer in Bens face at the mention of quiet, almost like he would be extra loud if I said thanks.
“Yer I am really tired, in fact I am so tired I could sleep through any of your noise. Don’t bother keeping quiet, I know how that doesn’t help people celebrate.” Ben laughed, and walked with me to Wend’s room, leaving the others to have fun in the lounge. “You didn’t walk me here to congratulate me, if you wanted to do that you would have done it in with the others. So you clearly want to either tell me something, or ask me something, what is it?” I didn’t say this in a rude way, as may seem to you. I was going for my best, ‘how sweet’ voice.
“You’re right, I’m not congratulating you. I want to know what happened outside between you and Adrian. And I know it’s none of my business but he is one of my best friends, not to mention my step- brother. I just want to make sure that this will not end badly.” Aww, that really was sweet. He’s looking out for his friend. Sure that means he is asking me to not break his heart but I can handle that, it’s not like I want to hurt him.
All this awesome sweet mateship stuff aside, I remembered that the reason I was here in Wend’s room was because of the massive waves of fatigue I seemed to be having. Telling people to leave me alone went against every moral bone in my body, but if Ben was as tired as I am then he would understand why I felt this way.
“Look Ben, I know you are just looking out for your mate and all but could you tell me all this again tomorrow , because I think I am about to pass out from being so tired. I don’t mean to be rude, but please realise that I am not as bad as people say I am.” With him looking satisfied that I wasn’t going to break anyone’s heart, I turned around to find myself face to face with Wendy.
Wendy took one look at me and moved out of the way, seeing how tired I was had made her totally forget why she was going to give me a lecture on not being rude to boys with authority. She was always making sure that I was well rested, and I think now she will try to protect my wellbeing even more than usual.
“What the hell have you been doing? You look like you just ran a marathon. Good lord, get some bloody sleep for gods sake.” Having Wendy worry about me like this always made me happy, more than that, on top of the world.
“Thanks Wend, I really do need to get some serious sleep if I am going to preform tomorrow...” Wendy was looking at me in a funny way, and I guess it was because she didn’t know that the school development reps have organised for a band to play at the school. Good old me sent an e-mail to Freelance, asking if they could at least drop in and say hi, to our luck they offered to play there first album AND hang out all day. “You will have to wait and see what I mean.”
“Okay, you go to sleep now.” Thank god she was an understanding person, or I may have been up all night being told to be nice. That and all the excitement from outside had just started to catch up with me, and just like usual Wendy seemed to be able to read my mind. “Tomorrow you are telling me exactly what happened between you and Adrian.”
By the time she had finished her mini speech I was in bed, it was going to be a long day tomorrow, but with the help of my new band AND boyfriend, I would face it with a new attitude to life.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »