The Jazz Spectacular

Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still survives.I wanted to show the world that no matter what situation you are in, you can make it through.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

The Nice Fur Bed

It was at least a hundred people in my apartment. Some were outside. Others came in and went straight to my sweet potato pies. Over there dancing, I saw Josephine teaching Clara Bell how to dance. Performing now was Duke Ellington and his orchestra. While he was singing, Bill Robinson was tap dancing. My Harlem Rent Party was good enough to make you hate fried chicken.. There was so much food that Sara Lee gained 5 pounds the next day. The party didn’t end ‘till one in the morning and at that time, Earl Hines was performing. I earned around $800! I gave Ethel James, Clara Bell, Jesse Mae, and Karla Simmons their $2. I also gave Sara Lee $5. She had the hardest job of all: dealing with me! Before she left, she said, “Child, this party will be remembered for years to come. Jessica’s Jazz Spectacular. Nice ring, ain’t it?” she left. I then got ready for bed. To my surprise, I saw Fats Waller passed out with a drink in his hand on my bed. I just left him there. I did look at him for a minute. At that very moment, I was happy that he actually in my hard bed. Then I started to get really sleepy. I got in my bed and rolled Fats Waller’s fat self onto the floor. My eyes then closed and drifted off into my imaginary fur bed that I will soon buy.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6