The Jazz Spectacular

Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: What inspired me to write this piece was the way my mom doesn't has much money but still survives.I wanted to show the world that no matter what situation you are in, you can make it through.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Some Chicken Legs, Pork Chops, Bar-be-que Ribs all equal a Good Time

I ran out of the Cotton Club and was just in time for the bus. I just hoped that Sara Lee kept her promise. If she didn’t, she was going to enter a world of pain. I got on the bus and to my surprise, there was a new driver. I asked him of his name and he said he was Henry. I said, “I’ll give you my bus fare tomorrow.” I gave him that look and went to the back of the bus. I hope he is quick to understand that I ain’t gonna keep that stinkin’ promise. Fourty-five minutes later, I arrived at my apartment. I opened the door and there was Sara Lee. “Child, everybody in this building is coming.” I was schocked. “Lord, you started on the food,” I asked, to see if she had grown out of her laziness. “Ethel James, Clara Bell, Jesse Mae, and Karl Simmons started cooking at 3:00. You betta not disappoint these folks, either,” she said, closing the door. “I ain’t,” I said shacking my head because unfortunately, she was still lazy. I walked into the kitchen and smelled something good. I saw fried chicken, collard greens, pork chops, bar-be-que ribs, mash potatos, macaroni and cheese, dressing, bar-be-que chicken, and a huge turkey. I thought, this gal done went and spent every last penny I had. Well I didn’t worry about that none because people started coming in like ants! Lee Simpson collected the money at the door. The music also arrived on time. Duke Ellington and his band came, Bessie Smith, Count Basie, Fats Waller, Fletcher Henderson, Louis Armstrong, Josephine Baker, Zora Neale Hurston, Herbert Sheen, Cab Calloway, Ivie Anderson, Eubie Blake, Bill Robinson, Marian Anderson, Ethel Waters, and Earl Hines. Over in my kitchen were the gamblers.